Alibates vs Tecovas Jasper

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
It was brought to my attention a while back that some of what we're referring to out (on the Great Plains) here as Alibates flint might be of another composition altogether. Indeed, Tecovas Jasper is identified as a more even color of red. Consequently, I've dug out a few pieces of a more homogeneous color which I previously described as Alibates, and am asking for input relative to the type of material. Some photos are of poorer quality than others, and for that I apologize. Thanks in advance of any suggestions or advice.
Docmann

Attachments

• NG7.GIF
    NG7.GIF
    73.2 KB · Views: 917
  • NG2.GIF
    NG2.GIF
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,670
  • NG3.GIF
    NG3.GIF
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,538
  • NG2.GIF
    NG2.GIF
    48.7 KB · Views: 699
  • NG9.GIF
    NG9.GIF
    55.4 KB · Views: 754
  • NG1.GIF
    NG1.GIF
    439.2 KB · Views: 2,289
  • NG19.GIF
    NG19.GIF
    82.4 KB · Views: 556
  • NG4.GIF
    NG4.GIF
    60 KB · Views: 1,005

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hi docman! Those are really nice. I wish I knew for sure, but the reddest ones, with some yellow in them look like what I'm thinking Tecovas jasper is.
The two written descriptions for them sound so much alike, and there isn't many pics of Tecovas J. on the internet. Have you been to the Alibates quarry? I plan on visiting some local museums this winter, and maybe getting to see some identified types of chert. It maybe something you have to see in person to distinguish the difference. Thank you for posting these pics. Those are some beautiful red pieces.

naturegirl

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
NG,
I've not been out to the quarry but would like to go sometime. I've read that you must schedule in advance and be accompanied by a park ranger. Indeed, seeing the material in person would help out. I am posting some items of known Alibates origin. These are photos from the site and not my finds, I REPEAT, THEY ARE NOT MY FINDS (although I wish they were!).
I'll continue to keep my eyes open. Thanks for the comments.
Doc

Attachments

• Alibates1.jpg
    Alibates1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,749
  • alibates-beefsteak-sm.jpg
    alibates-beefsteak-sm.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,570
  • alibates-colors-sm.jpg
    alibates-colors-sm.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,763
  • alibates-patterns-sm.jpg