Scraper2.GIF
    479.1 KB · Views: 418
  • Scraper.GIF
    Scraper.GIF
    237.1 KB · Views: 425

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Oh wow, I just found this post. That is beautiful, what a strange bump in it. do you think it could be? Dare I say it, I don't know, What do you think? Still looking for that definitive difference between alibates and Tecovas Jasper. That scraper is sure pretty. When I get enough points to put in a frame, my one alibates flake is proudly going in there. Sandcreek, do you know if your Grandfather found any alibates?

naturegirl

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
NG,
An Alibates "flake"? You guys need to come out here and gather up a nice Alibates scraper or two. We're blessed with a bunch of it.
Doc

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Oh wow, I just found this post. That is beautiful, what a strange bump in it. do you think it could be? Dare I say it, I don't know, What do you think? Still looking for that definitive difference between alibates and Tecovas Jasper. That scraper is sure pretty. When I get enough points to put in a frame, my one alibates flake is proudly going in there. Sandcreek, do you know if your Grandfather found any alibates?naturegirl
naturegirl, I am a pure dummy when it comes to lithics and not much better on types :-[. I'll get grandpa's arrowheads out and see if there's anything similar to Docmanns. I wish there was a book on the different types of materials used here in Oklahoma.
Whatever it is, Docmann, its nice material and tell your wife she did good :thumbsup:. I love all forms of tools, especially scrapers! Some just fit in your hand so perfectly.
kind regards,
sandcreek

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Sandy4
Now might be a good time for me to recommend an excellent publication for both you and NG, and anybody else interested in small points identification. I just received my copy and it is excellent. It is Southern Plain Lithics: The Small Points, Special Bulletin No. 26, of the Oklahoma Anthopological Society. (2007), 147 pages. A committee was formed to produce a point guide of the small projectile points found in the Southern Plains region. This monograph, produced in 2007, serves not only as an index guide of the stylistic variation of the prehistoric tool makers, but it also serves as an analytical tool and communication medium. This Bulletin is printed in a loose leaf notebook form for ease of future updates and includes descriptions, drawings, and information on 133 point types found in this region. It is described as a "must have guide to projectile points on the southern Great Plains". Importantly, it does not go into materials with any great detail, and it is a non-color guide, but still, an excellent reference. It is produced by the Oklahoma Anthropological Society and is $12.50 for members and $25.00 for non-members. While I am a member of the OAS, I believe it would be well worth the $25.00 (which includes shipping). The membership dues to the OAS, as I recall, aren't terribly expensive and have been well-worth the cost as there are various mailings and publications, news, etc., included.
I am posting the web address for anyone interested.

http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/oas/publications.html

Give it a look!
Doc

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for the recommendation docman. It's on my list of books to purchase from them. I'll probably end up with all of them eventually, but I am interested in materials used, so it will probably be my next purchase. And you are right about becoming a memeber, I'll save in the long run, so I guess my next purchase will be a memebership. Happy hunting!

naturegirl

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
NG,
I think you'll find it worth the money. I even send email photos to one of the archaeologists there who is always good to give me his opinion. Also, lots of opportunities for hands-on stuff if you have the time.
Good luck,
Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread