cache o pennies

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
cache o' pennies

Or is it a stash? Anyway, first off THANK YOU SANDCREEK! I finally got to head off with my detector, and I had a good time. Back to bow season now, not as many hunters so I got to sneak out to the lease. I went to the bluff with a small cave, and several names of "Dawson" carved around early 1900's. Very cool place, detected on bluff above cave, nothing. Climbed, slid down to the cave. detectors are tougher than I thought, that's good. Found a penny, then an unfired bullet. I don't what kind, but the whole thing was there, not just the casing. Nothing in the cave.

By now, I'm having a blast! My first time out alone detecting, and my gosh it was fun. It's a tall, long sandstone bluff with ledges, nooks and crannies and undercuts all over it.

I climbed,fell down the next level, and then climbed up several feet, just 'cause it looked interesting. It was very fine, dry sand from the bluff eroding, and big enough for a few people to sit/sleep comfortably. It beeped, and there was a penny under the sand, then again, and again! There was a cavity in the wall inches above where I was finding them, and I thought to myself, I'd put a handful of money there. so I moved the detector into the hole and it beeped like crazy! I had to use my little trowel to dig up 6 more, 12 in all, from the seventies. Not earthshaking, I know, BUT, this was my first time really going out with my detector, and I never dreamed I'd find something like that. I'm sure a hunter put them there for fun, and I did have fun finding them. Besides, they have a lovely green patina. Also found a nice tree fossil underneath Louis Dawson's name. Can't wait to go back.

Attachments

• tree fossil.jpg
    tree fossil.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,082
  • Ls Dws.jpg
    Ls Dws.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,082
  • cache o pennies.jpg
    cache o pennies.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,101
  • cache o pennies2.jpg
    cache o pennies2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,088

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: cache o' pennies

Yeah :headbang:! You finally got bit by the detecting bug, huh? ;D I bet there's more to be found--it looks like that place was used by numerous people---maybe it was a meeting place? Does the land ever get burned off so you can see any remnants of old foundations near this place?
Have you found any information on "Louis Dawson"? I'll have to look in my Osage County Profile book and see if she's in it for you.
Keep us posted and I'm so happy you're using that detector! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
sandcreek~~

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Yes I've been bitten! And bitten bad. I thought the tug to find one more piece of flint was strong. To walk just another twenty feet to that nice looking spot of dirt and gravel before I turn around to go home was bad. Now I just want to hear the MD beep again. I went back to the same spot and found one more penny I had missed previously. LOL I even passed the detector over the hole several times just in case... I wanted to hear the beep again! There will be deer hunters up there this weekend, so I have to stay away from there, but I'm gonna go somewhere and find something.

happy hunting!
ng

Raccoon

Apr 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

There's something else written above the name. Looks like PAW or RAW, but that might just be part of a name. Have you been back? I sure would like a closer look at that rock.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Raccoon said:
There's something else written above the name. Looks like PAW or RAW, but that might just be part of a name. Have you been back? I sure would like a closer look at that rock.

I see what you mean. Can anyone decipher it?

Then I see: LOU IS OK
DAW SON

Attachments

• DAWSON.jpg
    DAWSON.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 868

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think that is a U in louis Is looks more like a C or a G where part of it was chipped or damaged. Look right above the right side of the u and it looks like the top of a c or g.
To the right of OK it looks like there is an L.

Raccoon

Apr 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

krazyace said:
I don't think that is a U in louis Is looks more like a C or a G where part of it was chipped or damaged. Look right above the right side of the u and it looks like the top of a c or g.
To the right of OK it looks like there is an L.
Note that the U looks different from the other letters. It's almost as if that was there as some sort of indicator and the rest was added to throw you off. Have you read Bob Brewer's book about the KGC? Apparently, they would use rocks or beech trees to mark an area, then they would bury an iron pointer that pointed toward the cache, like a pistol or rifle barrel or pointy piece of a plowshare, which they could find with a compass, used as a primitive metal detector. One of the symbols used, along with turkey tracks and hearts, was a horseshoe. Maybe the U is a horseshoe.

-Rock

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. The word above the name is Pawhuska, nearby town. The U is different from the other letters, I just figured that's the way he wrote, but it does look really different. This land is for sell now, and we may lose the lease soon, I would sure like to look one more time. I've had the metal detector up there all along the base of that bluff, but it's really so big, it's kinda daunting.

ng

Raccoon

Apr 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You should pass the coil over the face of the bluff too. Sometimes they hid stuff by mudding it up in a hole in the rock.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cool :icon_thumright:

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Cool area... I would say that there are some caches hidden around there somewhere. Hope you get to hunt more before the land gets sold.

Silenthunter

Sep 30, 2010
McKinney, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II

How old are the pennies you found there, the pic's a great but would like to see a closer view of the coins in ground or the info on them.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That "U" shape is actually a horseshoe or possibly a muleshoe. I would look around for more signs.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Hi shortstack :hello:

I wish I could look more, but the land sold in June. Absolutly broke my heart. But I'm glad I at least got to roam around it for the 5 years we leased it. 1500 acres, sold for one and a half MILLION dollars!!! To a lawyer from Tulsa, who is retiring in his late forties. He's already made a lot of changes to land, and is going to build a house right on top of the bluff. I at least hope he's a history buff, and researches more than I got too. Now we have 700 acres leased closer to home and on a different creek. It's got some history, but not like the place we just lost. :dontknow:

Silenthunter

Sep 30, 2010
McKinney, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II

I suggest you contact the lawyer, and see if he will give you permission to continue your hunt of that area, explain to him what you have found, and he may let you return to site to investigate it more. Good Luck

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silenthunter said:
I suggest you contact the lawyer, and see if he will give you permission to continue your hunt of that area, explain to him what you have found, and he may let you return to site to investigate it more. Good Luck

Sure wouldn't hurt to ask him. And if he was a Trial Lawyer (as in ambulance chaser), just offer him the deal that you would do all of the work for just 55% of whatever is recovered and would not charge him anything if nothing is found. :laughing7:

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt

sandcreek4 said:
Yeah :headbang:! You finally got bit by the detecting bug, huh? ;D I bet there's more to be found--it looks like that place was used by numerous people---maybe it was a meeting place? Does the land ever get burned off so you can see any remnants of old foundations near this place?
Have you found any information on "Louis Dawson"? I'll have to look in my Osage County Profile book and see if she's in it for you.
Keep us posted and I'm so happy you're using that detector! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
sandcreek~~

George and Louis Dawson were brothers. They lived in the area and in Pawhuska. They never married and are buried next to each other just east of the mausoleum in the Pawhuska cemetery. On rock creek north of highway 60 are their names with a date in 1903, and Pawhuska, O.T. They were Ralph and Levi Dawson's uncles. -bill-

mrhobbeys

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2010

I saw you figured out what it said but that was after I tried to trace what I could (thought I could) see.

Attachments

• writing on rock.jpg
    writing on rock.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,069

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread