kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally got "around tuit"

My house was built in 1920 and I bought it in 1991. I have been looking at these items hanging up in the corner of the garage for 19 years. I could only see them when the garage door was open only about three feet. Today I finally drug out the stepladder and pulled them down.
The vehicle plate says US, Okla, "T" and 39. I assume a gov't truck.
The trui reads:"TURN THIS COVER TO RAISE IT AND PREVENT CEREALS FROM BURNING"

Attachments

• 36 truck.JPG
    36 truck.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Truit.JPG
    Truit.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 328
OP
OP
kenley

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Finally got "around tuit"

Pretty close Mackaydon, but mine has an arrow. I didn't measure it, but it may be a bit larger to allow the arrow.

OP
OP
kenley

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It is 6 5/8" and the back's only mark is RE cast into the truit. Appreciate your intrest.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Some history on trivets:

Trivets date back to the colonial era when cooking was commonly done in the large fireplace. Trivets originally had 3 tall legs, and served as support for cooking pots. Varying leg heights provided a means of controlling heat; trivets with short legs brought the cookpot lower to the fire for higher cooking temperatures.

"Trivet" comes from the latin word tripes (tripod) which refers to a 3-footed device. 3 legs provide an exceptionally sturdy base which meant food was less likely to be turned over and spilt into the fire.

Trivets were made by blacksmiths until the mid-1800's when foundries provided the ability to pour iron or brass into molds and therefore manufacture trivets commercially and in mass quantities. Trivets were still a valuable aid to the cook, helping to keep pots from boiling over and other cooking tasks.

The 1950's brought a revival in colonial decor and many American foundries answered the call for period reproductions, and trivets once again regained popularity.

Source: http://www.gascoals.net/Accessories/KettlesSteamersTrivets/Trivets/tabid/851/Default.aspx

Does the bottom side of your trivet show where legs may have been attached (sometimes more than three)?

OP
OP
kenley

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Don; I should have taken a photo of the back, but it was, to me, the typical "Ho Hum" cast marks. It never had legs. The reverse side has notches to let it drop lower or be raised on a gas or kerosene cook stove grate. I'll post pictures later if your interested. Right now I'm in the middle of a honey do.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Ken:
Oh, no, the dreaded "honey dos' !! You have your priorities in proper order: Honey Dos come first; the consequences of not doing them are certainly not worth that risk. Whenever you get the clear opportunity, I'd like to see the reverse of that trivit, if only for my personal information. Thanks, Don.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread