Back in the hunt for Oklahoma flint!

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
While the real hunt begins after wheat harvest when the fields get plowed, the nicer weather has me itching to get out. Happened across a new location west of Clinton that is yielding two or three artifacts per visit. Not bad when you consider that we're finding them in gopher dirt in uncultivated fields. While these aren't exactly museum-quality, they're enough to lure me back for another round, and another, etc. Would be interested to see what's being picked up in other parts of the state (or even others in my area).

Attachments

• Fresno1.GIF
    Fresno1.GIF
    154.8 KB · Views: 534
  • Fresno4.GIF
    Fresno4.GIF
    58.6 KB · Views: 463
  • Scraper1.GIF
    Scraper1.GIF
    152.1 KB · Views: 404
  • Tool1.GIF
    Tool1.GIF
    128.1 KB · Views: 473
  • Point3.GIF
    Point3.GIF
    110.1 KB · Views: 483
  • Scraper2.GIF
    Scraper2.GIF
    150.9 KB · Views: 484
  • Composite.GIF
    Composite.GIF
    150.1 KB · Views: 504

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi docmann! Glad to see you're back to posting stuff!
Not finding too much here in the northeastern part of the state--just some broken points and a few uniface scrapers. All the rain we've had sure has turned the gravel bars over, though. We're still waiting on a couple of creeks to go down before we can look them.
Can't wait to see what you find after the harvest! Thanks for sharing your finds!

Here's a couple of pics from our finds over the weekend.
:hello:
sandcreek~~

Attachments

• IMG_8944 (650x369).jpg
    IMG_8944 (650x369).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_8947 (650x353).jpg
    IMG_8947 (650x353).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 334

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hey Sandcreek, I'm glad to see docman posting again too! We just haven't had the chance to hunt in several weeks, glad someone is getting to. I lost this thread after I first found it, now I found it again :icon_scratch: anyway, what is that little red double triangle piece in your pictures? That's different looking!

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Hey Sandcreek, I'm glad to see docman posting again too! We just haven't had the chance to hunt in several weeks, glad someone is getting to. I lost this thread after I first found it, now I found it again :icon_scratch: anyway, what is that little red double triangle piece in your pictures? That's different looking!
This one, naturegirl? I think its a tiny birdpoint with the tip broke off. I thought it was just a piece of flint when I first saw it. Wouldn't that one have been a beauty if it was whole?!
sandcreek~

Attachments

• IMG_8947 - Copy (402x384).jpg
    IMG_8947 - Copy (402x384).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 381

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for the close up look. The stem is what caught my eye. I guess it's probably a scallorn. I've looked in all 2 books I have, Overstreets and the old books(bulletin) that matt recommended, and I can't find one exactly like yours. They(scallorns) all have bases slightly smaller in width than the shoulders, and none are so equally triangular in shape, BUT there is a written description that says the base can expand as wide as the shoulders, so I guess that's probably what it is. Your base almost seems bigger than the shoulders though? Maybe your specimen has been resharpened? but how often did a bird point survive to be resharpened? And most of the scallorns I can find a picture of are longer in proportion than they are wide. It seems like if you finished off the broken tip in your mind, it's not really a very long point. Just musing here :D, it's really an interesting piece, thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread