Back in the hunt for Oklahoma flint!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By docmann
  • 1 Post By Charmin

Thread: Back in the hunt for Oklahoma flint!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2009
    OKLAHOMA!
    Rarely!
    28 times

Back in the hunt for Oklahoma flint!

While the real hunt begins after wheat harvest when the fields get plowed, the nicer weather has me itching to get out. Happened across a new location west of Clinton that is yielding two or three artifacts per visit. Not bad when you consider that we're finding them in gopher dirt in uncultivated fields. While these aren't exactly museum-quality, they're enough to lure me back for another round, and another, etc. Would be interested to see what's being picked up in other parts of the state (or even others in my area).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fresno1.GIF 
Views:	473 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	411890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fresno4.GIF 
Views:	400 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	411891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scraper1.GIF 
Views:	343 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	411892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tool1.GIF 
Views:	409 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	411893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scraper2.GIF 
Views:	423 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	411894  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Point3.GIF 
Views:	398 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	411895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Composite.GIF 
Views:	446 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	411896  
    cowtownok likes this.

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    White's Prizm III and Ace 250
    273 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Back in the hunt for Oklahoma flint!

Hi docmann! Glad to see you're back to posting stuff!
    Not finding too much here in the northeastern part of the state--just some broken points and a few uniface scrapers. All the rain we've had sure has turned the gravel bars over, though. We're still waiting on a couple of creeks to go down before we can look them.
    Can't wait to see what you find after the harvest! Thanks for sharing your finds!

Here's a couple of pics from our finds over the weekend.

sandcreek~~

Name:	IMG_8944 (650x369).jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	412624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8947 (650x353).jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	412625  
    cowtownok likes this.
    "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name". Isaiah 45:3

us
    Mar 2009
    379 times

Hey Sandcreek, I'm glad to see docman posting again too! We just haven't had the chance to hunt in several weeks, glad someone is getting to. I lost this thread after I first found it, now I found it again anyway, what is that little red double triangle piece in your pictures? That's different looking!

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    White's Prizm III and Ace 250
    273 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by naturegirl
    Hey Sandcreek, I'm glad to see docman posting again too! We just haven't had the chance to hunt in several weeks, glad someone is getting to. I lost this thread after I first found it, now I found it again anyway, what is that little red double triangle piece in your pictures? That's different looking!
    This one, naturegirl? I think its a tiny birdpoint with the tip broke off. I thought it was just a piece of flint when I first saw it. Wouldn't that one have been a beauty if it was whole?!
    sandcreek~

Name:	IMG_8947 - Copy (402x384).jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	415941  
    "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name". Isaiah 45:3

us
    Mar 2009
    379 times

Thanks for the close up look. The stem is what caught my eye. I guess it's probably a scallorn. I've looked in all 2 books I have, Overstreets and the old books(bulletin) that matt recommended, and I can't find one exactly like yours. They(scallorns) all have bases slightly smaller in width than the shoulders, and none are so equally triangular in shape, BUT there is a written description that says the base can expand as wide as the shoulders, so I guess that's probably what it is. Your base almost seems bigger than the shoulders though? Maybe your specimen has been resharpened? but how often did a bird point survive to be resharpened? And most of the scallorns I can find a picture of are longer in proportion than they are wide. It seems like if you finished off the broken tip in your mind, it's not really a very long point. Just musing here , it's really an interesting piece, thanks again!

Sponsored Links