Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jan 2009
    OKLAHOMA!
    Rarely!
    28 times

Western Oklahoma Knife

As I mentioned in one of the other posts, this kind of thing may be small potatoes to most of you "old pros", but it represents a one-of-a-kind for me. Other that a big bite our of the smaller end (what I would call the handle), it's in pretty nice shape. I have come across very few chunks of Alibates flint this size. This piece was recovered near Arapaho, quite a bit north of my usual stomping grounds. I would appreciate any comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CusterCounty4.GIF 
Views:	427 
Size:	515.3 KB 
ID:	34614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CusterCounty3.GIF 
Views:	428 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	34615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CusterCounty2.GIF 
Views:	433 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	34616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CusterCounty4.GIF 
Views:	432 
Size:	515.3 KB 
ID:	412922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CusterCounty3.GIF 
Views:	408 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	412923  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CusterCounty2.GIF 
Views:	420 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	412924  

us
    30 years in this addicting hobby.

Jan 2007
    Oklahoma
    CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus. USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
    205 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: Western Oklahoma Knife

good looking knife really thin... most of the time you would only find half or a piece...wtg

us
    Jan 2009
    OKLAHOMA!
    Rarely!
    28 times

Thanks GH,
    An archaeologist friend of mine seems to think that the original owner of this piece probably got it too close to the campfire thus producing the large chink. I'm still amazed to see all of the collectors with the many knives in their collections and wonder how they happened onto that many intact pieces. As you said, I typically find bits or pieces. This is my one and only intact piece. Appreciate the nice words.
    Doc

us
    30 years in this addicting hobby.

Jan 2007
    Oklahoma
    CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus. USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
    205 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by docmann
    Thanks GH,
    An archaeologist friend of mine seems to think that the original owner of this piece probably got it too close to the campfire thus producing the large chink. I'm still amazed to see all of the collectors with the many knives in their collections and wonder how they happened onto that many intact pieces. As you said, I typically find bits or pieces. This is my one and only intact piece. Appreciate the nice words.
    Doc
    My cousin has been a archy ever since the early 80's He is the one that got us on to so many of the lake sites that are now covered up. I not familiar with that blade type but the thinness and the color of the flint makes it a good lookin peice. As thin as it is could have also played a part in the break it has.(while making it) looks like it has been resharpened. Could have seen some use.

us
    Oct 2004
    South Central Oklahoma
    TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.
    59 times

Docmann,

I'm having my annual get together in September. Bring your finds down for a show and tell. I'm going to bring a few of the points I've found. I'm planning to take the kids out next week to do a little creek hunting since all this rain we had may have washed some good stuff out.
    http://okietreasurehunter.blogspot.com/

us
    Mar 2009
    Oklahoma
    Tesoro Tejon
    39 times

Very nice knife find docmann. Love that material...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links