Western Oklahoma Knife

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
As I mentioned in one of the other posts, this kind of thing may be small potatoes to most of you "old pros", but it represents a one-of-a-kind for me. Other that a big bite our of the smaller end (what I would call the handle), it's in pretty nice shape. I have come across very few chunks of Alibates flint this size. This piece was recovered near Arapaho, quite a bit north of my usual stomping grounds. I would appreciate any comments.

Attachments

• CusterCounty4.GIF
    CusterCounty4.GIF
    515.3 KB · Views: 501
  • CusterCounty3.GIF
    CusterCounty3.GIF
    108 KB · Views: 497
  • CusterCounty2.GIF
    CusterCounty2.GIF
    312.5 KB · Views: 499
  • CusterCounty4.GIF
    CusterCounty4.GIF
    515.3 KB · Views: 500
  • CusterCounty3.GIF
    CusterCounty3.GIF
    108 KB · Views: 471
  • CusterCounty2.GIF
    CusterCounty2.GIF
    312.5 KB · Views: 489

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:o good looking knife really thin... most of the time you would only find half or a piece...wtg :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Thanks GH,
An archaeologist friend of mine seems to think that the original owner of this piece probably got it too close to the campfire thus producing the large chink. I'm still amazed to see all of the collectors with the many knives in their collections and wonder how they happened onto that many intact pieces. As you said, I typically find bits or pieces. This is my one and only intact piece. Appreciate the nice words.
Doc

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
docmann said:
Thanks GH,
An archaeologist friend of mine seems to think that the original owner of this piece probably got it too close to the campfire thus producing the large chink. I'm still amazed to see all of the collectors with the many knives in their collections and wonder how they happened onto that many intact pieces. As you said, I typically find bits or pieces. This is my one and only intact piece. Appreciate the nice words.
Doc
My cousin has been a archy ever since the early 80's He is the one that got us on to so many of the lake sites that are now covered up. I not familiar with that blade type but the thinness and the color of the flint makes it a good lookin peice. As thin as it is could have also played a part in the break it has.(while making it) looks like it has been resharpened. Could have seen some use.

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.
Docmann,

I'm having my annual get together in September. Bring your finds down for a show and tell. I'm going to bring a few of the points I've found. I'm planning to take the kids out next week to do a little creek hunting since all this rain we had may have washed some good stuff out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread