August Flint of Western Oklahoma

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Every now and then fate shines on us and we manage to have a picture-perfect day such as yesterday, 8-17-10, in a field in Wash*ta County south of Clinton. It was a cool morning just following a fierce thunderstorm that unloaded nearly two inches in about an hour. I needn't explain what that does to the freshly plowed fields in terms of exposing flint. Moreover, the weather was cool, and it was my morning off. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause!
The first photo (poor quality) shows a nice little bone chisel along with some broken points. Notice the white wide point. This really stood out as an exception to the little Wash*ta, Harrell, and Fresno points typically found around the campsites we're currently exploring.

The next group is a nice cross-section of pieces. In this group is a nice little Harrell point (top) and Wash*ta point (bottom row) in about as good condition as one can expect for a 600 year-old artifact. The field is still littered with flint but we moved on to a field in western Custer county where we stumbled onto another nice collection (to follow).

Attachments

• Points.JPG
    Points.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 413
  • Composite Flint 8-17-10.GIF
    Composite Flint 8-17-10.GIF
    560.3 KB · Views: 427

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. I was down there in western Oklahoma about that time and checked out the 5 Acre site on Foss lake. The lake was too high and covered up some of the better sites. You ever go to the park office at Foss, look at the Mammoth tusk. That's my find. I got no credit; they said it was found by fishermen. Mammoth remains are a dime a dozen in Oklahoma. However, I wanted someone to check the site and see if they could find artifacts from human hunters. Amazingly, BLM sent some archy's out to conduct a dig. Well, they did the best they could, but apparently the tusk was a wash down from some place else and no tools were found. I'm familiar with the Domebo site in Oklahoma, and I had hopes for this one. But if you go to the park office, that tusk is my find.

ok_digger

Greenie
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found my first arrowhead and it was a clovis point, talk about excited

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread