Monterey pass, Blue Ridge Summit Pa (UPDATE!)

huntinghunter

Mar 26, 2009
Waynesboro, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Hello all...
I've been viewing this site for some time now and have decided to make my first post. My bro-n-law and I have been doing extensive research on the track of the retreating army from Gettysburg to the Potomac River, thier track brought them through Monterey Pass, my in-law lives along Old Route 16, the same route the troops treckked 40,000 of them, we have been MDing along the road and have found .58,.68 cal, miniballs, caps, flat buttons, eagle buttons. We have come to a dead spot in the route towards Waterloo, we believe they may have went a different route, rather than follow the route which now today old Rt 16 to Waterloo, we suspect they went over the top of the mt or down over Rthe mt to what is now Red Red. Has anyone researched this? In one dug hole, I recovered 9 drops, with no cartidge box remains? My bro found an 1865 2 cent piece, everythiing thats been found is greater than 5" in the ground, with this many troops traveling down this road in a severe t-storm on the nite of July 4th or 5th, one would believe there would be loads of relics. We are stumped and can't figure it out??????
Once I figure out how to post pics, I'll post them.
...I figured out the photo thing....Sunday produced 2 CS Belt tongues, we are insearch of the wreaths to make the sets complete. Follow along our journey as we follow the troops march through the Mountain Pass...Ive been posting updates in the "Todays Finds" forum. Threads will be called "The Buckles Site"

Attachments

• Jun14_0001.jpg
    Jun14_0001.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,154
  • Jun14_0002.jpg
    Jun14_0002.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Jun14_0001.jpg
    Jun14_0001.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Jun14_0002.jpg
    Jun14_0002.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,000

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
Thats pretty cool, isnt that Blur ridge summit down by I-81? There's a quarry there that makes the liitle rocks for shingles, If its the town I'm thinking of.

Burwick

Jan 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I grew up a little south of there in Carrol Valley. I've done a bit of research of the area, found a few websites that might be of interest to you. The first is http://www.emmitsburg.net/montereypass/index.htm which is a site from the Maryland area. 2nd one is http://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/articles/history/civil_war/the_battle_of_monterey.htm

I've heard a story about a post of soldiers that where atop of a mountain that overlooked Fairfield and Blue Ridge Summit ditching a cannon in a well for some reason.

A few wagon roads in the woods around my parents house. As a kid pulled a few wagon wheels out of the woods. Only found 1 bullet, looked like it bounced off the rocks. Just got my first metal detector about a year ago. Detected around an abandoned and collapsed log cabin and a few foundations, haven't found anything of interested yet. Also heard stories about a Indian silver mine in the area, from what I've heard the boro filled over the entrance quite some time ago. I figured out where it was though. I live in northern Adams County now, if you want any help MD'ing let me know!

OP
OP
huntinghunter

huntinghunter

Mar 26, 2009
Waynesboro, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Burwick said:
I grew up a little south of there in Carrol Valley. I've done a bit of research of the area, found a few websites that might be of interest to you. The first is http://www.emmitsburg.net/montereypass/index.htm which is a site from the Maryland area. 2nd one is http://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/articles/history/civil_war/the_battle_of_monterey.htm

I've heard a story about a post of soldiers that where atop of a mountain that overlooked Fairfield and Blue Ridge Summit ditching a cannon in a well for some reason.

A few wagon roads in the woods around my parents house. As a kid pulled a few wagon wheels out of the woods. Only found 1 bullet, looked like it bounced off the rocks. Just got my first metal detector about a year ago. Detected around an abandoned and collapsed log cabin and a few foundations, haven't found anything of interested yet. Also heard stories about a Indian silver mine in the area, from what I've heard the boro filled over the entrance quite some time ago. I figured out where it was though. I live in northern Adams County now, if you want any help MD'ing let me know!

Thanks for the websites ,I know the historian for those sites, John has written many articals about the civil war in our area, and is an avid re-enactor as well, my brother n law and I have had many talks with him and what routes were taken from the retreating army. Our rersearech is ongoing, have you considered metal detecting those woods where you grew up and found those wheels?, that would be the 1st indication to go back.If you wanted I would be glad to help you in the search for any relic related to the Monterey Pass. My Bro Mike is eager as well to help in locating more relics, We know John is trying to get a museum set up to display artifacts from the battle of Monterey Pass, I'm not sure where he stands with that. There is also consideration in presearving the area as a national battlefield. These are things that were mentioned through conversation. Either way...There are plenty more things to be found on that route.

vidette

Jan 7, 2009
Any updates on Monterey Pass., would like to MD in that area. I am from Upper Bucks Co. Have tried to follow retreat route on several occasions.
Many visits to Gettysburg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread