Pgh, area

mmagreg

Feb 4, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey. Im newly interested in metal detecting, and will start exploring Pittsburgh next week (when i get my first metal detector). It would be great if I had someone to learn and share with. I live in the South Hills area of Pittsburgh. Ive been doing some research looking for interesting places to explore while I wait for payday to arrive... seems like some really interesting places that may be overlooked (i hope!). Would be nice to get your opinion on some of them.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck ! Just love local history. Western Pennsylvania is rich in it. Remember to ask permission and follow the code. Happy hunting !

Fishermanjuice

Jan 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Baldwin, new to the hobby as well. Maybe we could meet up at South Park? That's where detectingtheburgh gets a lot of stuff on YouTube. It is a trashy area, and it has been hit hard by other detectors, but there is still treasure to be found. I also have a couple small parks by me that are loaded with trash, but there is likely a bunch of treasure as well since they have not been detected ever or at least as much as South Park.

pgh412

Apr 12, 2013
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey jim My mane is Josh i live in pittsburgh looking to get into the hunt new to the game.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...new to the game.
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Welcome aboard!

eze1417

Greenie
Jan 1, 2014
West Alexander
Detector(s) used
Legacy 3500 with Super-Scan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live south of Pgh now on the old National Rd. between Claysville and West Alexander PA. there is a lot of history down here and I know quite a few places to MD including on my farm. This area was the first federally funded road project in the country and we celebrate it every year with a wagon train etc. I know where there used to be several old forts that protected the area that have gravesites. I am originally from Butler PA and know of many dumpsites for older farms. Most are close to my parents place and easily accessible by vehicle with little walking, but are on private property in which I have permission to hunt on. Most of the dumpsites have older bottles that are deep with newer 1950s milk, coke, and venire bottles close to surface but literally stacked on top of each other. If anyone is interested in doing some exploring feel free to msg me. I am available weekends right now.

Truk58

Nov 9, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Erik,
My name is Kurt Albert, I am originally from Prospect, PA and now live in Butler. If you ever want a partner to explore with in the Butler Area, just send me a message and I will reply with my contact info. I just recently started Metal Detecting, but bottle hunting seems interesting.

Kurt Albert [email protected]

Truk58

Nov 9, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jim,

I saw Elizabeth Twp. and that caught my eye. My buddy I work with is from Elizabeth, he used to metal detect years ago and hasn't in a long time.... since I got interested in it and started hunting, he got excited about it again and just bought a new metal detector. We plan to go out probably in the spring together, I guess some of our hunts will be around Elizabeth Twp ( I am from Butler, PA) where he lives. If you send me a private message or email, I will send you more information for contacting him.

Thanks,
Kurt Albert [email protected]

hotrod53

Dec 20, 2008
south of Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Jetco Coinmaster, Jetco Huntmaster, Whites 5000-D, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Cutlass II, Minelab 705 Gold, 6" Coiltek Digger coil, currently Minelab Etrac, RNB battery pack, and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I'm seeing a lot of new competition brewing here....LOL. I'm from Finleyville, originally from Elizabeth Twp and still have family on Blaine Hill and Oak Hill. I started detecting when I was 12 and have hit many of the local spots over the last 42 years, I'm 54 now. I spent a lot of time in South Park, Round Hill Park, Sutersville, Elizabeth, been a lot of places, have detector will travel, and I've gotten a lot of good stuff over the years. You're too late, I got it all..... LOL, if only that were true.... :laughing7:

Technology sure is much better today than when I started back in 1972. It's a great hobby, welcome aboard!

ginnysdaddy

Aug 10, 2007
Jeannette, PA (Westmoreland Co.)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eric here from Jeannette. I live a few miles from Bushy Run and a few hundred feet from Oakford Park. I wear hearing aid, but they are broken, so I am waiting for a replacement so I can hear my detector. Without the aid, I am just exercising my legs.

Mjw38

Aug 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt here from the Greensburg area. New to metal detector and I'm yet to get a M.D but when I do it will be an AT PRo. Did manage to pick up a pin pointer so far. I'm only a few minutes from Hannastown.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread