Gold in Butler County?

Glass Blower

Jul 13, 2014
Northern Butler County
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi everybody. My name is Tom and I’m brand new to prospecting and of course, new to this forum. I live in northern Butler County in Pennsylvania.

I have heard that there is gold everywhere in PA, and I found a glacial map that shows where they practically came through my back yard: PA-Gold.com

I tried panning last year with some dirt from my yard, and I found some flakes that I believe were gold. Unfortunately, my wife thought she was doing me a favor by cleaning my things, and ended up dumping my suspected gold down the drain! Shortly after that winter was here, and forgot about prospecting until now.

I have a new gold pan on the way, as well as some classifiers (#30, #50, and #70), and I’m looking forward to playing in the dirt again. I’m lucky enough to own about 16 acres of woods which also include some small streams and drainage channels from natural springs and rain water.

After watching some YouTube videos, it seems like “black sand” is the best for finding gold, but I don’t see anything like that around here. One of the deeper gorges on my land has a lot of dark mud, so I’m not sure what that would hold.

I would like to know if anyone has any tips for things I should look for around here. Also, is there anyone in my area that does this, and have you had any luck?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing some of your suggestions!

All the best,

Tom

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well i would go back to where you think you found gold and pan some more there because it seems to me this would be the logical place to look. If you sift some of that dark mud and it's silt - you may find arrow heads among other things, esp. if there is a creek running through that area. I don't pan for gold but have books that talk about it. I'm sure there are some experts on here. Good luck! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread