Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Glass Blower
  • 1 Post By Ocean7

Thread: Gold in Butler County?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2014
    Northern Butler County
    1 times
    Prospecting

Gold in Butler County?

Hi everybody. My name is Tom and Iím brand new to prospecting and of course, new to this forum. I live in northern Butler County in Pennsylvania.

I have heard that there is gold everywhere in PA, and I found a glacial map that shows where they practically came through my back yard: PA-Gold.com

I tried panning last year with some dirt from my yard, and I found some flakes that I believe were gold. Unfortunately, my wife thought she was doing me a favor by cleaning my things, and ended up dumping my suspected gold down the drain! Shortly after that winter was here, and forgot about prospecting until now.

I have a new gold pan on the way, as well as some classifiers (#30, #50, and #70), and Iím looking forward to playing in the dirt again. Iím lucky enough to own about 16 acres of woods which also include some small streams and drainage channels from natural springs and rain water.

After watching some YouTube videos, it seems like ďblack sandĒ is the best for finding gold, but I donít see anything like that around here. One of the deeper gorges on my land has a lot of dark mud, so Iím not sure what that would hold.

I would like to know if anyone has any tips for things I should look for around here. Also, is there anyone in my area that does this, and have you had any luck?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing some of your suggestions!

All the best,

Tom
    DFX DAVE in M.D. likes this.

us
    The Money Pit must be the Titanic of empty holes and empty wallets.

Apr 2004
    400 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    well i would go back to where you think you found gold and pan some more there because it seems to me this would be the logical place to look. If you sift some of that dark mud and it's silt - you may find arrow heads among other things, esp. if there is a creek running through that area. I don't pan for gold but have books that talk about it. I'm sure there are some experts on here. Good luck!
    DFX DAVE in M.D. likes this.
    Everybody has an opinion - this is mine. Humor will be part of that opinion. I've found things - some can only dream about. Some was pure luck, some was pure knowledge and skill. After 40 years at MD'ing (off and on), I know a few things about finding treasure lost in the ground. As a retired software engineer, I now have unlimited time on my hands. Life really doesn't matter unless you are true to yourself and in your dealings with other people.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links