Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large one is whats normally called a Tombac button. Small one is just a regular flat button.

OP
OP
Jesse Keefer

Jesse Keefer

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large one is whats normally called a Tombac button. Small one is just a regular flat button.

Thank you!! Any info is helpful. Like I said, buttons are a different language when it comes to me haha

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Little one looks like it's a tombac button as well. Hit that spot hard! [emoji2]

Here's some info...

"It's made of a material called "tombac", a brass alloy made with a large amount of copper and 5-20% zinc. The result is a highly durable button which resists corrosion. The back has a raised cone shaped base where a copper or iron shank would have been soldered on. Tombac buttons were used for both military and civilian purposes, and were mass produced in the late 1700's."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jesse Keefer

Jesse Keefer

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the rings (machine marks) on the small one. The large one I cannot. It just appears smooth. Does this imply that it was pressed or molded due to its convex shape?

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I edited my post above with more info added. [emoji2]

OP
OP
Jesse Keefer

Jesse Keefer

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I edited my post above with more info added. [emoji2]

Awesome! Thank you! So it's safe to say I probably have a couple of late 1700s buttons! The house was last occupied in 1805 according to the owner today. Construction of a railway was underway only feet from the house but was never completed. Leaving the house vacant all these years. The property around the house was turned into sheep pasture during the depression and a small barn/storage building was constructed behind the house. Which is likely why I found the 1904 Indian head penny there! Will for sure hit this spot again hard!!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's pretty safe to say you'll get some great oldies there. Go slow and overlap your swings. Stuff could be deep. That big button is sweet. How deep were the buttons?

OP
OP
Jesse Keefer

Jesse Keefer

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're gonna laugh when I tell you.. Like I said before, this house was virtually untouched since 1805... I found the Indian head at the surface, maybe under an inch... Both buttons were at only 2 inches! I only was out for maybe an hour.. Did a quick scan and that's what I pulled out as well as some old forks, spoons, a few buckles, some wood stove parts, an old pair of eye glasses, and what I believe to be a chain to a pocket watch. I use the garret at pro. I figured I'd be hunting among a lot of trash so I had my small coil on but I will be tossing the big one on to reach a little deeper for sure!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're gonna laugh when I tell you.. Like I said before, this house was virtually untouched since 1805... I found the Indian head at the surface, maybe under an inch... Both buttons were at only 2 inches! I only was out for maybe an hour.. Did a quick scan and that's what I pulled out as well as some old forks, spoons, a few buckles, some wood stove parts, an old pair of eye glasses, and what I believe to be a chain to a pocket watch. I use the garret at pro. I figured I'd be hunting among a lot of trash so I had my small coil on but I will be tossing the big one on to reach a little deeper for sure!

Sounds like a great spot. Slap that coil on and get there asap! Haha
I look forward to seeing what comes out of there. Snow still has me stuck home but it's melting fast! [emoji2]

OP
OP
Jesse Keefer

Jesse Keefer

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet! It's just starting to feel like spring here finally... And I will be there tomorrow if it doesnt rain too hard tonight. I'll post pics of I find anything worthy!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet! It's just starting to feel like spring here finally... And I will be there tomorrow if it doesnt rain too hard tonight. I'll post pics of I find anything worthy!
I always found the rain made the silver coins come out of hiding. You said you got a ATP so your good to go anyway! Haha

OP
OP
Jesse Keefer

Jesse Keefer

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only had it for a few months. I love it so far! So simple to use and very good for trashy sites! I've got a system down of picking out all the large iron first before hitting the good targets. I was not aware of what iron masking was until watching the video for the ATP. Getting rid of some iron can reveal a lot of treasures!

OP
OP
Jesse Keefer

Jesse Keefer

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a few tests with coins near large iron and I was surprised what you can pass up if you abuse the iron discrim.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only had it for a few months. I love it so far! So simple to use and very good for trashy sites! I've got a system down of picking out all the large iron first before hitting the good targets. I was not aware of what iron masking was until watching the video for the ATP. Getting rid of some iron can reveal a lot of treasures!

Very good thing to do if you have lots of time. If you can go back on a regular basis I personally would coin shoot and also dig all the best target hits first and then go for the cleaning out the other stuff when you get the easy targets all dug. Unless it's just a really small area to do then maybe not. Just my option though! [emoji2]

OP
OP
Jesse Keefer

Jesse Keefer

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true. Gotta get those targets before someone else does! Fortunately every home site, farm, or property I've been to, the owner says it's never been detected before.. I aim for the local family owned properties based on the names on the old maps from late 18 to early 1900s. I figure the less the property has switched hands, the more knowledge the folks that live there or own it have on it.

OP
OP
Jesse Keefer

Jesse Keefer

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot find a single metal detectorist in my area.. And the few I've seen are novice and just searching for modern jewelry and money at parks and beaches in the freshwater lakes nearby. Id like to find a hunting buddy near me to share in the fun. I'd come hunt with you but Nova Scotia isn't exactly through the woods and over the hill... Haha

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sound like you have it made. Something like my area. Loads of older untouched spots with original family owners. Now I just got to find the time to do them all. Very few hunt anywhere near me either. Good luck and hope to see your new finds soon.

OP
OP
Jesse Keefer

Jesse Keefer

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup pretty much what it is down here. Good luck to you and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread