Relic Hunting Spots in Pittsburgh?

rubicon2013

Jun 20, 2013
A lot of parks are open to metal detecting just check the rules some require a permit or permission from the park office. Other than that private land is the way to go get out and ask!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I hunt any and every park I come to. Barring a sign that says "no metal detectors" or barring an obvious historic sensitive monument.

But if you are skittish that some places might have a rule, look it up for yourself. Do not walk in asking some desk-bound park person: "Hi, can I metal detect?". Lest you find yourself the latest victim of this: "Sometimes no one cares UNTIL you ask". That is to say, there's been lots of parks, beaches, school-yards, etc... that were never a problem, and no actual rule existed that truly said "no metal detectors". But lo & behold, someone takes it upon themselves to go ask, and finds an arbitrary whimsical "no". Then the danger is, that that same person (who perhaps never gave it a moment's thought before your "pressing question"), will now start booting others.

So if you're skittish, look it up for yourself. Park rules, city ordinances, codes, etc.... are no secret. They can be looked up on-line for even small cities nowadays.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
The best places are old homes or where they once stood I would guess. Many are abandoned in some areas. What type of relics are you thinking of? What part of Pgh are you in as I'm in an eastern suburb?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread