1817 Large Cent With "PHILAD" Counter Stapmp

MrFrip

Greenie
Jul 28, 2016
South Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver -- not top of the line, but I have never NOT found what I was beeping at!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all! I'm new to this forum -- I posted on the main board for the site and was referred here! So yesterday I got permission to hunt at the stable that is right off MLK Parkway. There was a little cottage that is there too. I found my second Large Cent! Woo HOO! My first is from 1850 and this one 1817 so beat my age record! What's also COOL is that it is counter stamped with "PHILAD". Does anyone know who may have stamped that? These coins were minted in Philly, but a counter stamp of PHILAD seems redundant LOL

Here are some pics! Also, I haven't cleaned it. I don't think I should yet, right?

BERypvu.jpg W4itbIw.jpg

1817 Large Cent with PHILAD stamped on it - Album on Imgur

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find !

I wouldn't clean it.
It could be a Hundred dollar Find.

unfortunately Narrowing Merchant Stamps down is Very Hard.
unless they have a Clear name & address.

A0000204167-uscoin-zoom-1-0.JPG

From

Pennsylvania. Philadelphia. PHILADA five times vertically on obverse of an 1805 Draped Bust cent. Brunk P-440 (type). Rulau-Unlisted.
Host coin AG. Brunk suggests that numerous merchants may have used this or similar counterstamps; there are PHILA. and PHILAD versions known as well.

http://old.stacksbowers.com/browseauctions/lotdetail.aspx?AuctionID=6110&Lot=24345

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread