Best Texas Finds

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
It was an archeological dig. As part of it, we could not keep any artifacts. Didn't want to miss the chance in being a part of Texas history, had we found the battle site, mass grave, and or any evidence of the battle. The outing was great. Got to meet fellow T-Netters and other interesting people :thumbsup:.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.................Yes, I would like to be a part of an Archeological Dig too!! You threw me when you said that the owner of the ranch kept the find! Usually all of the finds in an Archeological Dig goes to either the State or the Federal Government!!............I could relate............my Dad years ago told a homeowner that he wanted to hunt their homesite and we would give them everything that we found!! It was one of the hardest experiences that I have ever done in TH'ing!!............NEVER AGAIN...............except maybe for a State Sponsored Dig!!..............JOE

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
I have heard many different stories on the possible location of the battle from a few around here and just in conversation. Any word on the next hunt cooltone? You are right it would be great to be apart of the group that found the battle sight.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
No word yet Shaw. I'm on Dan's emailing list and I'm always get updates from him. I will be sure to post up when another one is set up.

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
I get the same from some Dan, looking forward to hunting with ya cooltone.

I have a bit of info on another location that may be an interest. I am looking for an angle to get into the property. Lets just say I am in the same business.

I will send you a PM this week cooltone.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Shaw said:
I get the same from some Dan, looking forward to hunting with ya cooltone.

I have a bit of info on another location that may be an interest. I am looking for an angle to get into the property. Lets just say I am in the same business.

I will send you a PM this week cooltone.

Sounds good.

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kieth-Tx said:
I had never wanted to land hunt much...I was a beach hunter. In early 2007 a buddy said they were tearing down a whole block about a 1/2 mile from my office in Corpus. I mainly started land hunting because he had never broke into the 1800's in a coin so it started as a challenge. When the dust had settled after a couple months...we both had numerous coins below 1900...my best is the tiny 1851 half dime...his was a 1848 quarter. There are some quite unique finds on that table from that location...the civil war buttons & bullets, the inaugural derriotype ribbon from president Harding, the 1850's ballast bottles and the Bennigan & clay marbles. But the find that has the best memories isn't even on that table. I found a silver spoon that had a girls name in it and date. It was given to a little girl when she was three years old in 1911. I finally was able to track her down and found out that she had died 6 months before...dang. I will post the letter from the family later. There are also three items(2 tokens and a 1841 dime in the pics that are from a 2007 Louisiana hunt) on the table...all the rest are from that location. Hope you like the pics.
Are those led buttons on the top of the second pic??

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kieth-Tx said:
They are lead weights sewn into military clothing.
I was told they was old weights for drapes in home's eather way thay are cool.. what did they use um for in the clothes??

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are differances of opinion on I guess the "location" they were used but they were used on the front of the greatcoat at the bottom to keep the wind from blowing up the flap of the coat. I think they were sewn inside the bottom corner of the flap...some think they were used at pretty much the same spot but on the outside used as a button. Either way it is a cool find if you find one. Have found them round and cut perfectly in half...kinda hard to use as a button that way and I've yet to see a coat with one showing. ::)

coolbeans

Apr 11, 2007
san antonio texas
Detector(s) used
whites...dfx- D2- sunray..dx-1 whites...beach hunter id 300 garrett..ace..250 bullseye..II
on feb 14th 2008 i found a 1825 large cent 30 miles south of san antonio on the banks of the san antonio river (6 inches deep). after finding this i did some research and found out the site was a crossing back in the day. the coin is my avatar photo.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Nice large cent coolbeans. Do you by any chance know Art G., he's also an MDer from SA? HH John

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more question

Could you tell me the name of the girl on the spoon and who her family was? My family was in CC as far back as the late 1800's and knew everyone. Thanks!

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been in touch with Kieth-Tx after reading his post about some finds in Corpus at a house tear down. Turns out that was my grandparents' old home, built around 1910! My father was born there. I knew of the lady whose name was on the spoon he found! Sure is a small, small world. Wish I could have been there to detect with him!! It was great to hear about his finds.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
I know that this is mainly about metal detecting, but you asked for our coolest finds...lol
I have two, my first dino tooth in the Glen Rose area and T'Net...I have gotten so much info from just reading the differant threads, that I'm able to use in my personal treasure hunts...mostly just walking around the creekbeds and differant areas that I get to go on my job...
The dino tooth was found at a job site in Glen Rose, after I found it everyone that worked the job started looking...found lots of fossilized bone and more teeth and raptor claws...

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My oldest and best was a 1799 2 Reales coin found a block west of the old Bland Caddy dealership in downtown Houston. They were building new townhouses there and were cleaning off lots. They had taken the top 6" or so of the soil off and had it all piled up. I found the coin on the cleared off ground. Also found several IH pennys around the old sidewalks.

Second best is an 1854 Dime found in the parking areas back of the old Wuenshe Cafe in old town Spring. Also found 92 coins in an area about 3' across and up to a foot deep where an old beerjoint had been in the 40's just west of I45 in Spring.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The thrill of my life. Texas buttons.....

Attachments

• Texas Marine Corp.jpg
    Texas Marine Corp.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Texas Navy.jpg
    Texas Navy.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,180
  • Old Spur.jpg
    Old Spur.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Texas Marine Corp.jpg
    Texas Marine Corp.jpg