Best Texas Finds

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my hunting partners had a treasure story in which he had found two silver Morgan dollars, and he had told me this story for two years about hunting an old lot near his home town that had a saloon back in the late 1800 but now is a large vacant lot on a corner. Finally the day came that my friend Charles had to go back to his home town to sign some papers, so about 6:55 am Saturday, Charles (Saamdigger) pulled into my driveway and I jumped in with my Explorer II and we were off for a 1½ hour drive near Victoria, Texas. We first stopped at a vacant lot that was 2 blocks away from the saloon lot, why? I was soon to find out. We started to hunt and about 15 minutes later he called me over to check a signal and it sounded good, so he said for me to go ahead and dig it because he had another signal to dig, so after a couple of scoops of dirt, out popped an old Spanish silver coin like the ones you see on old ship wrecks. I couldn’t believe what I was looking at, and was trying to figure out how to claim at least 1/2 ownership, Well I did dig it without scratching it. After about 3 minutes or so Saamdigger finally couldn’t hold back the laughter any longer and began to laugh loudly for over a minute then told me that he had planted it and it was a fake Spanish coin and he could not get over the look on my excited face. Yea that’s my hunting partner and I told him I would be planning my payback and that I would have the last laugh. So we then moved over to where the old saloon once stood and he pointed out the spot where he had found the two dollars and about 5 minutes later we both had signals that turned out to be two old beer cans, this place was full of large iron junk from the abandon rail road across the street and also used as a blacksmith shop. Well after about 10 minutes more of swinging my detector I heard that sweet high tone that you get from deep silver and about 7 inches down a coin came up and at first I didn’t know what it was because of the green patina crud all over it like you see on dug copper coins, my first guess was it was a large Mexican coin, after a minute of spitting and rubbing it I recognize the Morgan head and knew I had my first ever silver dollar. After standing and swinging again I heard another high tone within 8 inches of the first one and as I dug my second ever patina silver dollar, I felt as if this was not really happening to me, then another and another and another, my feeling went from happy unbelief to greed like the movie Sierra Madre, this went on for about 15 minutes then Charles hollered over how long was I going to stay in that same spot, and I hollered back “when I get all the dollars you left behind” he didn’t believe me and I didn’t push it. Finally 5 minutes later he walked over as I was on my knees holding my thirteenth silver dollar and he said “let me see these dollars” this is when I knew it was payback time for that little stunt he played on me with that fake Spanish coin. I placed one by one silver coin into his hand while I was still on my knees and looking in to his face and counting off each coin as it went into his hand. There was a few more dollars found after that and I had a total of 16 silver dollars within a 5 to 6 foot area when Charles said its time to go. I also had one gold ear ring and one gold heart charm which I pick up with my X-1 probe while pinpointing the dollars in the holes. The oldest coin was a 1879 and the newest was 1884 and one 1885 had a CC mint mark and it was the only one I scratched out of 16, what luck! Charles (Sammdigger) said on the way back home that I could come back tomorrow with Larry our other hunting buddy if I wanted to so the next day I found three more dollars and the other ear ring plus three V nickels, Larry found one silver dollar and a barber dime This all happen on September 2004 and I know it was a find of a life time for me a simple old Marine, thanks be to God.

Attachments

• Cannon ball Christmas.JPG
    Cannon ball Christmas.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,720
  • Morgan silver.jpg
    Morgan silver.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,321
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Very cool story, thanks for sharing it. Did you ever get him back over the planted Spanish coin? ;D

Does the old saloon still stand? Thats a great find!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
My oldest is a 1835 1/2 dime, my best hunt is the calvert store dig, My best single find? I dont know, they were all exciting.
Whats yours shaw??

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Since I have been back into Hunting in the last year or so I would have to say my 1906 Barber dime last weekend.as far as coins go. I also found my birthyear 1979 Susan B in mint condition which I thought was a good dig. I have some misc gold and silver jewelery that I always enjoy popping from the ground.

I found an old roadway and bridge that I had been searching for. I searched old maps and talked with local people about it. Then I explored the creeks and found it. That was a great hunt for me.

Finding this site with the info and people on here is a treasure find.

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Shaw said:
Very cool story, thanks for sharing it. Did you ever get him back over the planted Spanish coin? ;D

I believe I got him back by finding all those dollars when he and many other hunted that lot many time before I came on, the saloon is no longer there only a large empty lot. I will be going back to try this new E-trac unit this fall.

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Cuerno said:
Shaw said:

I believe I got him back by finding all those dollars when he and many other hunted that lot many time before I came on, the saloon is no longer there only a large empty lot. I will be going back to try this new E-trac unit this fall.

Keep us posted on how well that E trac works out.

The lots are the best part of the saloons, Thats where all the "good" stuff happened and people lost things.

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Well, I haven't found much....my NEPHEW found a barberd dime at a spot that I found for us.....me...i found 57 cents. My best finds are an old wagon wheel hub, civil war era S&W bullet...and that is about IT!! Good thing I don't keep doing this because I only want to find old coins. I'm still hoping for my first good find.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I've got several nice finds but this is one of my favorites. I found these 5 US Beltplates over a 2-3 week period working an old plantation site here in Brazoria County. They were found within 100 square yards of each other under huge old Oak trees. These I will pass down to my Grandsons. I got to see a picture of the silver dollars that Art (Cuerno) found in the story he wrote, very nice coins. John

Attachments

• 5usplates.jpg.JPG
    5usplates.jpg.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,589
  • beltplate.jpg.JPG
    beltplate.jpg.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 2,572
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
TexasDigger1 said:
I've got several nice finds but this is one of my favorites. I found these 5 US Beltplates over a 2-3 week period working an old plantation site here in Brazoria County. They were found within 100 square yards of each other under huge old Oak trees. These I will pass down to my Grandsons. I got to see a picture of the silver dollars that Art (Cuerno) found in the story he wrote, very nice coins. John

John,

I bet that you could not believe what you were digging up. Those are great finds, Old trees are fun to hunt.

Did you have any ideas that those may be in that area or was it just stumbling on to them?

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
TEXAN Connection said:
My oldest is a 1835 1/2 dime, my best hunt is the calvert store dig, My best single find? I dont know, they were all exciting.
Whats yours shaw??

By the way I enjoyed reading those Calvert store dig posts. Very great threads to read and view.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Hey Shaw,
No, didn't really expect to find the plates at all, it was a very nice surprise, more like "is this really happening to me!". The original owner of the plantation was a colonel during the civil war with the south, I was hoping to find a CS plate but never did. If you notice on the last picture you can still see the leather on the hooks from the belt, I thought that was unique. I also searched where the old house that is now gone once stood. Found lots of broken glass and also found a skeleton key which I'm sure went to the old house. I've thought about going back and asking the owner if I can do some digging and sifting, no telling what else is under that soil, also found lots of horseshoes and two old locks. HH John

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
TexasDigger1 said:
Hey Shaw,
No, didn't really expect to find the plates at all, it was a very nice surprise, more like "is this really happening to me!". The original owner of the plantation was a colonel during the civil war with the south, I was hoping to find a CS plate but never did. If you notice on the last picture you can still see the leather on the hooks from the belt, I thought that was unique. I also searched where the old house that is now gone once stood. Found lots of broken glass and also found a skeleton key which I'm sure went to the old house. I've thought about going back and asking the owner if I can do some digging and sifting, no telling what else is under that soil, also found lots of horseshoes and two old locks. HH John

Let me know if you need some backup. :wink:

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
TexasDigger1 said:
Hey Shaw,

Man, I would lOVE to go too...if you would like some company!! ;D

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Here's my favorite WWI camp Logan finds:

An 18K wedding band with an inscription - initials and 1913 date:

loganring7-15-06.jpg

A 1916 Mexican Border Service Medal:

mexbordmedobv.jpg

mexbordmedrev.jpg

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Nice finds. I really like that metal.

Where did you locate that at?

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Shaw said:
Nice finds. I really like that metal.

Where did you locate that at?

Thanks!- Memorial Park - Old Camp Logan

just-geese said:
Nice Tim..wonder how I missed that one LOL
Don

LOL!
Same way I missed it 3 or 4 times.
That place gets hit so hard that it's amazing there is anything left in the ground. :tard:

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
just-geese said:
You hunt the bayou side or top.... I can't imagine what is covered over out there
Don

Any and all 1,500 acres!
(Except the golf course...)

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Does anyone hunt out on the trails back up in the wooded areas? I have never hunted memorial but mountain bike out there, that is why I ask.

I have never seen anyone back in the woods detecting.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Shaw said:
Does anyone hunt out on the trails back up in the wooded areas? I have never hunted memorial but mountain bike out there, that is why I ask.

I have never seen anyone back in the woods detecting.

Look harder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions