Sunday hunt

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted in two spots with RRTH. Silver, wheats, clad, 2 rings (one silver), and what I believe is a 10K gold pocket watch, badly rusted out in the gear area.
IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0652.JPG IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0658.JPG

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer Finds man!I love seeing Old Ben's being found.

Is there something you can soak that watch in that might help loosen up the rust?, being that corroded , it would seem like its real gold on the outside.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt there, need to find a killer spot like that ! Seeking any silver above dime still this year here =) Never have seen any gold watches come out of the ground here yet either =D

OP
OP
jas415

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did an acid test on the watch and it tested 10K. So I then took some 22K acid and poured it on the rust and it helped quite a bit, but I think I better go back to the lower test acid to keep from erasing the gold. I have it in olive oil now but that has never done anything except waste olive oil. I might just put some acetone on it a few times, liquid wrench, and anything else I can think of to dissolve some of it. It has a back that opens up and a front that opens. I want to open the back to see if there are any markings, etc.. quite often on the center around the edge there are serial numbers, makers mark, etc., and if you open the front you can see the writing.

OP
OP
jas415

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did an acid test on the watch and it tested 10K. So I then took some 22K acid and poured it on the rust and it helped quite a bit, but I think I better go back to the lower test acid to keep from erasing the gold. I have it in olive oil now but that has never done anything except waste olive oil. I might just to some acetone on it a few times, liquid wrench, and anything I can think of to dissolve some of it. It has a back that opens up and a front that opens. I want to open the back to see if there are any markings, etc.. quite often on the center around the edge there are serial numbers, makers mark, etc., and if you open the front you can see the writing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread