More Texas Revolution Relics...

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These were just delivered via Fedex, a surprise gift from an old timer who I am proud to call my friend.

This old timer (name withheld for privacy) happens to be an extremely successful avocational archeologist / detectorist who played a key role in the recovery of thousands of relics lost and abandoned by the retreating Mexican Army after the defeat at San Jacinto in El Mar de Lodo ("The Sea Of Mud").

Pictured:
TOP-LEFT: Light canister shot (Cuprous)
TOP-RIGHT: Heavy canister shot (Cuprous)
BELOW: Buck & Ball (Sprue remnants still visible)
feac8f5207601c7dbccb1c20733d78d9.jpg

Depiction of the "Sea Of Mud" by M. Hinojosa.
Take this scene, and imagine this scale:
- 2700+ Mexican soldiers
- 1200 horses and pack mules
- Almost 5 miles long.
dfca8ae0ba5d45eddd3cb16dccac9e24.jpg

This Is Texas History at its finest.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ! I've been hunting a old plantation about 5 miles as the crow flies from where we took possession of the twin sister cannons on a ferry crossing on the the Brazos around Bellville. The land was a Stephen F. Austin land grant. One of the original 300. Actually old family land my dad was born on. We traced it back to first settler Joel Leakey. Best I've found so far is a side plate from what looks like a flintlock or cap lock rifle. The farm is in Buckhorn. Supposedly we came that way but what exact route is unknown.

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice ! I've been hunting a old plantation about 5 miles as the crow flies from where we took possession of the twin sister cannons on a ferry crossing on the the Brazos around Bellville. The land was a Stephen F. Austin land grant. One of the original 300. Actually old family land my dad was born on. We traced it back to first settler Joel Leakey. Best I've found so far is a side plate from what looks like a flintlock or cap lock rifle. The farm is in Buckhorn. Supposedly we came that way but what exact route is unknown.

Thats cool man, maybe our ancestors crossed paths at some point.

If you get a minute, perhaps you could post up a photo or two of your lockplate...?

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finally figured out how I wanted to display the "Sea Of Mud" relics....

Ended up going with some acrylic pedestals for the canister shot, and a small acrylic cube for the Buck & Ball pieces:

3e5cd6fadcda6410a8ef49089386bc60.jpg

abef3b9c827c935b97da1b66ebbcb935.jpg

~Tejaas~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread