No lost coins in Texas

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the biggest online forums ever, and NOTHING is posted as being found in Texas! There are maybe 10 people that regularly read these posts. And out of the 10 reading only one or 2 will actually post. The internet did one thing for metal detecting, it brought in thousands of others that now have detectors and are 'cleaning' every beach, every vacant lot, and every park in Texas. So, I am here to OFFICIALLY Declare there are no more lost or otherwise unaccounted for coins or jewelry in Texas! Otherwise there would be more posts here.

I found the last silver yesterday! Here are some pics of them so be sure to look closely and remember them as there will be no more found. The large square thing is a sterling cigarette case.

IMG_3710 (Copy).jpg IMG_3711 (Copy).jpg IMG_3714 (Copy).jpg IMG_3720 (Copy).jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The state specific forums get low traffic / readers. Especially the sub-forums WITHIN the state-specific. If you want show & tell, you need to find a forum where there's more geographic locale specific readers (ie.: higher input). Or if nothing specific to TX, then just to the regular "today's finds" forum. Yes that's not geographic specific, but at least it gets more readers/inputs.

Here in CA, we have a state specific forum that gets a lot of input. Versus the T'net subsection, which I think few, if anyone, inputs on.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Jas - I went down there for a couple months and cleaned her out. I can't believe I missed those 2 silvers though :BangHead:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listen man everyone gets in slumps...u get worn out and beat...we all have been in ur shoes here and there...but research research research! Old homes front and back yards, old parks, etc...theres coins everywhere...yes it is true that virgins spots are getting harder to come by...but there still out there! I know alot of guys around here that find stuff and just dont post it bc they dont care for forums...but i will agree i dont see many posters from texas...goodluck man!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
There are still lost coins and jewelry in Texas, BUT the competition amongst Tectors here does keep even the clad count lower per capata IMPO. This is certainly true for my city just north of Dallas.

You are right in general though. Folks here don't find coin count totals anywhere near the east and west coast hunters. Texans might not post about their $2-$4 coin counts with a lone silver(once in a blue moon) because it seems "small potatoes" compared to other states.

Yes, private permissions through research is what's out there if you have the confidence and personality, AND the skills in research. Even those better spots have been or are being hunted strong by tectors with years of tenure and talent.

I can't believe you're serious about not coins or jewelry in Texas comment. The fact does remain that Texas is no picnic in lost treasures. We have to really scramble for spots, hunt in terrible heat, and dig in the hardest dirt. Me?, I will post a silver find cuz dammit, I worked hard for far too many hours to find that one. martin

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are 100% right, Texas is hunted out, Kaput, Finished, give it up and sell your detector, move away - the sooner the better, it's the pull tab capital of the world.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I know Jerry (jas415) well and he is digging plenty of coins and silver. His post is meant to say that if no one is posting, there must not be any coins being found. He digs over 150-200 silvers a year - He is 73 years young, and I can't keep up with him!

He does post on a Texas specific forum, but I think he is encouraging everyone here to " represent" our great state.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you do don't come up to Oklahoma and steal our coins, I am still trying to keep up with the demand from the silver whispering to me from underground.8-)

OP
OP
jas415

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, 9 responses! Thanks Wayne. I guess sarcasm is lost on some folks. Yeah, we will find lots of stuff but not a lot post here.

tonymc2

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2012
Jasper,Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are alot of treasures in Texas , Look for comunitys that was big back in the day, People buried there money after the great depression they didnt trust banks,I live in deep east Texas now but grew in Erath county in a ghost town called Alexander it had the first rail road in the county and was pretty good size back in the day, I grew up finding coins from the 1880s with out a metal detector in my parents yard, I am new to metal detectors and cant dig every wire,cans and metal, I cut down the old hanging tree a few years back they had a spike in the tree for every man hanged , It was an old oak along the old road that was about gone but love to go home to see my mom and still find treasures, My mom will be 90 on her next birthday and hope I am lucky enough to have her genes but there are many many treasures in Texas to be had old stories of lost loot have some truth to them !!

Oct 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm a gold prospector from California and a member of the delta gold diggers. I'm going to visit family and vacation in Texas Nov 7-14. I'm looking for someone who would be willing to hang out and do some sluicing. I've never prospected in Texas before so if anyone could help I would be thankful. If you'd be interested I would gladly pay for gas, lunch, drinks, etc. let me know, my name is Darrell 209-507-3739 send me a text or give me a call. Hopefully i can find a nice Texas picker to bring back to Cali to show my other prospecting friends.

OP
OP
jas415

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darrell, Texas is really big, where in Texas are you visiting? The only actual gold to be found by sluicing would be in the far west Texas mountains and I have no idea where. There is a small bit in the Llano river at Llano Texas. About 100 miles nw of Austin. When I say 'small bit' I mean really rare to see color after 20 or 30 buckets of dirt. Really tiny flour gold mostly, but some claim to have found nuggets.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
We've got a lot of lost virginity in Texas and it's border towns, a lot of Tequila( most of it great) you can be jailed if you don't teach your son to chew, drink beer and cotton eyed joe. But gold? Yeah, we got some of that in our teeth(the ones we still have) and everyone is required to read Dobie so we can lie to those brilliant yankees who come down here for the treasure. Texas is a right nice place to visit, especially after the sun goes down...

Jdubbya74

Jan 6, 2014
Denton County Tx
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome man I haven't posted in a long while or dug in a while either. I'm about to get with it again since the weather is nice now. I've had a 66 book love letter open a lot as of late and the Author keeps downloading new stuff to me!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just haven't found anything worth sharing yet. If the weather holds out I might have an interesting video next week though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread