austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right. There weren't many people living there(Beeville). Mostly farms and ranches. But there were schools, churches and businesses from the early days. Find out where the first school was and try there. That creek by the old Whataburger is sort of ugly, but I always wondered about it. And try to find where the earliest saloons were too. Those will be your best bets. Now, there is a spot down 181 that is Papalote. Just this side or the other is an old road house that was Leela's or Lila's Place. My dad used to hang out there with his friends in the 1930's. It was a ruin last time I was by there(2005 or so), but ask a real old timer and they can tell you where it is/was. It was ancient when I was a kid in the 50's and I'm pushin 70 now. If you can't find Indians there, then give it up. Good luck on your hunts. PM me if you need anything...

Also, there is an old park in Sinton that had a zoo. Ask someone there, yes, an old timer. It was in town, down a road past the creek. Maybe the road to Refugio. Just don't remember that far back. My cousin would remember. He was born and raised there. [email protected]

Last edited:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
While there are always exceptions to the rule - your pretty dead on, sir.

I'm exclusively a relic hunter, but i have pulled a fair amount of Indian Head cents on trips over into East Texas.

I reside north of you in the Hill Country... And Indian Heads have eluded me here as well.

To be fair though, I should mention that i RARELY hunt within any city limits, which would obviously hinder my coin finds considerably... I hunt rugged and rural.

If they are in the ground, and i get a coil over one someday - i am confident that it will be a nice example, though.

I find Civil War/Indian Wars copper Spencer cartridge cases pretty regularly, and they come out of the ground in near immaculate condition...

~Tejaas~

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My oldest was 1863 found in park in Waco.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions