East Texas represented.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with a cheaper model, it paid for itself in 60 days and then upgraded to a mid level detector. 4 months later it more than paid for itself, so I upgraded to the top of the line Fisher. Use that detector, make it pay for itself even though it was a gift.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I was gifted an obviously cheap detector.
So far on my property I've found only aluminum. I can already tell I shall need a much better detector. I've been into coins for a long time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

What Loco Digger is saying is a great way to go man, builds on experience, you learn so much more and you earn it all the way. I started as a child a very long time ago on one of our Texas ranches, nothing about them back then was cheap, seemed like all that stuff from the city was expensive. But every machine I have owned over the years has paid for its self.

It is no different than any other tool earning it keep and justification for use, repair and upgrade.

OP
OP
D

davidharmier60

May 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose it's possible that there are no coins buried on my property. This machine has adjustable senses and a metal type adjustment. I've tried all sorts of adjustments. I can't do anything until I get another job.
Except play with this unit.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I suppose it's possible that there are no coins buried on my property. This machine has adjustable senses and a metal type adjustment. I've tried all sorts of adjustments. I can't do anything until I get another job.
Except play with this unit.

No mate, just because your not finding it does not mean they are not there. What part of Texas you in and how many acres you searching?

Do you have the manual for it to properly adjust your settings? Are you searching all the right spots?

Everyone has treasure with their name on it, you just need to find.

OP
OP
D

davidharmier60

May 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We live on 3.5 acres in Shepherd, TX. The area around the house was filled with a lot of dirt. The rest of it doesn't dig very well.
There is a pile of dirt that was delivered across the road that I'll try to search maybe after dinner.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Throw some different coins on the ground. Quarter, dime, nickel, copper penny (pre 1982) and a zinc penny (1983 or newer). Swing your coil over each one and learn the sound it rings in as. Then take a small piece of foil and swing over it. Set your discrimination so you can no longer hear the aluminum. To tell how deep your detector can hit each coin swing over each, slowly raising your coil until you can barely hear it. Get a visual of the height of the coil from the coin. this should allow you to ID the depth of a target. Does your detector have 3 tones? DO you have a pair of headphones? Using headphones let's you get the best sound and also extends battery life of your machine.

GL & HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learn to cherry pick, detect along both sides of the driveway and along both sides of the sidewalk. If you have a curb strip, hit that hard. Coins were always falling off peoples laps/pockets when they got out of cars. Dig everything until you have a better understanding of what rings in under the different tones.

OP
OP
D

davidharmier60

May 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes to headphones. Will try the coin trick.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well mate first I would say take Loco Diggers advice on this, you will learn you machine this way in its native hunting environment. Next I would say to stick around, ask plenty of questions, show us your first finds of coins, knives or what have you. Last I would say, yu have access to lots of water, any of them banks within walking distance, if so hunt them up.

I look at things from a profit stand point, if you can walk there or ride a bike then you just saved money, if you find something then you just made a profit. Many folks here love their relics, I like seeing them but I am a profit hunter all the way.

This is a great place to learn many things from many people. If it where me I would be checking play grounds, river banks, lake shores, know bush party hang outs, under bleacher stands, old live stock drive trails (not that I can recall any in that area but sure as heck recall the Trail Ride. Also Livingston Lake on the south west used to kick up some good parties that where always nice to hunt out.

Dont be a stranger mate, stay on it and you can pay your bills with this.

OP
OP
D

davidharmier60

May 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well with both adjustments topped out about 6 inches is the best it'll do. But the tone doesn't change whether it be silver or copper or zinc or clad. I can't completely tune out the aluminium rose tag I found.
And with it almost tuned out the coins don't sound off as well.
I'm going to try a Peace dollar.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well with both adjustments topped out about 6 inches is the best it'll do. But the tone doesn't change whether it be silver or copper or zinc or clad. I can't completely tune out the aluminium rose tag I found.
And with it almost tuned out the coins don't sound off as well.
I'm going to try a Peace dollar.

Sounds like progress, you now know what your machines capabilities are, and clearly you have no issues taking advice.

If this is how your machine acts then you must work with those limitations, no bad for just starting out. I dig everything my self, I clean and keep all metals of value until I have enough to sell for scrap.

She sounds on metal and that is what matter, I am sure there is a ring out there waiting on you, just have to find it.

OP
OP
D

davidharmier60

May 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has a pretty easy time with the big heavy Peace dollar. Will search that dirt pile tomorrow.
Tomorrow before it gets hot.
Unless I hear from a possible job of course.

OP
OP
D

davidharmier60

May 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a solid target in the fresh soil.
Tried tuning it out. Dug up an aluminum can.
Got all Manor of spurious signals but nothing strong.
I know of a couple of places to try in town. But for now I'm going to search penny rolls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread