My Ace 250 Finds from July 4th to August 7th

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett Ace 250 metal detector keeper finds from July 4th to August 7th. No gold this month but I did find a couple of pieces of silver - a 1940 Mercury dime and a sterling chain marked "Italy 925". I found over $10 in modern coins, including one more Sacagawea dollar coin which is the second of those I've found this year. That money will be used to buy batteries for my detectors and my pinpointer and will keep me supplied in batteries for the next 2 months. At the top of the photo is a rare and complete early Sergeant Major (Army) hat pin emblem and a copper World War II dog tag that was issued to W. W. Belch in 1944. The latter probably belonged to a soldier who was stationed at Camp Bowie here in Brownwood, Texas during the War. I dug the milk glass Mason jar lid insert while digging for a coin target that was underneath it. I'm well satisfied with my finds for last month and I had a great time finding them. Comment with any questions you have about them and I'll be happy to answer them...except for the exact locations where I found these items. ha. That's a closely-guarded secret.
~Texas Jay

http://centraltexastreasureclub.webs.com - Join us on October 13th for our Annual Fall Open Competition Hunt!

Ace 250 - July 4 - August 7 -2018.jpg

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did state you are diggin' any and all targets? Could not remember what you stated in the beginning of your postings in regards to just using the ACE 250. Also, are you using any kind of handheld pin pointer as well?

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did state you are diggin' any and all targets? Could not remember what you stated in the beginning of your postings in regards to just using the ACE 250. Also, are you using any kind of handheld pin pointer as well?

Hi kudzu74. I usually run my Ace 250 in jewelry mode which eliminates iron but nothing else. I rarely dig foil targets unless they give me the impression that they could be small gold by jumping around some. I use a Minelab Pro-Find 35 pinpointer. It's excellent.
~Texas Jay

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate your response...I have just started using my ACE 250 so any advice is welcome and the jewelry mode is a good tip. I just recently bought a Garrett pin pointer because I found digging and swing to dig more and so forth takes a lot of time. I hope that the pin pointer will help make finding the target quicker once detected on the ACE 250.

Olcountry

Aug 17, 2018
central tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I'm from Brownwood new at detecting is there any places here where I could get access to hunt

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
You might consider rechargeable batteries and a charger to save money in the long run. I did that myself. Good hunting!

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate your response...I have just started using my ACE 250 so any advice is welcome and the jewelry mode is a good tip. I just recently bought a Garrett pin pointer because I found digging and swing to dig more and so forth takes a lot of time. I hope that the pin pointer will help make finding the target quicker once detected on the ACE 250.

Hi kudzu. I detected for 48 of my 49 detecting years without a pinpointer. My new hunting buddy got on his phone during one of our first hunts together and ordered each of us a Minelab Pro-Find 35 and, man, has it made a difference! I'm sure you'll love your new pinpointer as much as I love mine. Garrett doesn't make any junk. When I resolved to use the Ace 250 almost exclusively this year, I was determined to take Charles Garrett's wise advise and put at least 100 hours on it in order to understand all of its capabilities. I now have about 135 hours on it and I know it so well that I'm reluctant to switch detectors now. It took me awhile to figure out my own way of pinpointing targets with the Ace's coil but now I can do it easily so that I'm able to retrieve targets that are out of the pinpointer's range quite accurately and quickly. My suggestion to you is to watch as many YouTube videos on the Ace 250 as you can and, more importantly, get those field hours on it. :)
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I'm from Brownwood new at detecting is there any places here where I could get access to hunt

Hi Olcountry. It's nice to see another treasure hunter from Brownwood on here. A metal detecting buddy and I founded the Central Texas Treasure Club here in Brownwood in 1981. The club is still going strong. I highly recommend you attend our next regular monthly meeting on Tuesday September 4th at 6:30 p.m. at the Early Chamber of Commerce Building at 104 E. Industrial Blvd. in Early. Visitors are always welcome and encouraged to attend and Individual Memberships are only $20 per year (full 12 months). To answer your question, YES, there are plenty of places, loaded with coins and relics, for you to detect in Brownwood and Brown County. Most of us, however, keep our locations a secret so they are not intruded on by "claim-jumpers". I do regularly share some very good sites, where we can hunt, with our club members. As club President, I also make a point of inviting new members to accompany and hunt with me on some of my secret sites, some of which have never been detected before, so you can see how valuable a club membership is. I encourage you to visit our club's website below and read the homepage, view our Photos, and read our Blog.
~Texas Jay

http://centraltexastreasureclub.webs.com

31107-1.jpg Micheal Heim -photo of our May 1 2018 meeting - 1.jpg Micheal Heim -photo of our May 1 2018 meeting - 2.jpg

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tiredman. Thanks for the good luck wishes. Rechargeable batteries may be a good investment for some detectors but they won't save an Ace 250 user any money because it uses a pack of 4 alkaline AA batteries that I can buy at Dollar Tree for a dollar a pack. I get 12-15 hours of use out of a dollar's worth of alkaline AAs. I imagine it would cost more on your electric bill to recharge batteries than that.
~Texas Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions