212.6 KB · Views: 1,461

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, you can't get rid of that stuff so be very careful. If you spill even the tinniest drop on the floor, it will roll around until it finds a crack to go even lower towards ground. I would start by calling a scrap metals dealer, he could steer you to a buyer or let you know if you need a permit to even have it....Dentists use to use it all the time putting in Silver filings, so some of us have it in our mouths right now, I assume :BangHead:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
There are federal laws dealing with the storage and disposal of mercury. You realize, I hope, that any contact with your skin and it enters your bloodstream and stays there(stored in your liver, I think). Also, if you evaporate it, don't breath the fumes because this will over time, like skin contact, kill you.It has pretty much been removed from any dental use, but if you are getting up there in years, yep, it's in your fillings. It is a very dangerous substance so please be careful...

rush

Aug 24, 2009
LOL we use to rub it into pennies to turn them silver when we were kids . I probably got at least a gram in me then.
Ah the good old days . No wonder I'm so messed up . Where are you at what city? I need a bit pm me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this will over time, like skin contact, kill you./ but if you are getting up there in years, yep, it's in your fillings.

This is an OLD post & my Response is not meant as a dig on austin.

But comments like this always make me laugh :laughing7:

so.... It'll kill you if old age doesn't get you first ? :laughing9:

like cigarettes, just imagine how many 3000 year old people would be
dancing around, if they didn't smoke. George Burns would be 118 in
about 2 weeks, & still telling his old jokes
:laughing7:

Dental amalgam controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Armorer73

Mar 1, 2013
California City, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab X-Terra
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is this dude named The Mad Hatterlooking for some.

JYOU18

Greenie
Feb 8, 2015
Utah
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had some fillings done with silver mercury amalgam just last year. Store your mercury under a cover of water and wear latex or nitrile gloves when handling it. Use caution and always work over a containment vessel. Never evaporate it unless you use the proper type of retort and know how to do it safely. Mercury gets a bad rap. It is like any other hazardous substance, be prepared, equipped and educated on how to use it safely and it is a valuable tool for recovering gold and silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread