Counterfeit sliver dollars in Patrick county Va.

Tucker T

Aug 9, 2009

The story has been told to me by many people in the county that to brothers in mountain near Dan river were being watch by the law,after these pure silver dollars started showing up. They watched them go over the side of the mountain ,but when they tried to follow them they had no luck and could not find where the mine and their equipment was at. The story goes that one was caught and died in prison,the other left the area. I turned 50 this year as a child of about 11 or 12 my father and I were at one of the brother's family members and I have allways like guns the family member was in his 80's. Over the fire place was an 8 sided long rifle with sliver sights on it. Being young and not knowing any better I asked the man if the sights were sliver he told me to take my thumb nail and try to make a mark in them ,I did make a slight mark. I then asked the question is this some off the sliver from the mine where the guys were counterfeiting money,my father pinched my shoulder,at that time I did not know he was related to them. The man just smiled. I would like to know if anyone has any info on this. Some people believe that the mine are under water because not long after they were caught (one of the men) the city of Danville Va. built 2 damns for a power plant and flooded allot of the very steep Mouton land other think that the mine were above the water,because they came back out the top of the mountain and you would think with the weight of the coins they would have went down to the bottom if it was closer. Thanks for any help.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I have read the SAME story; wife & I were in Patrick County in those dang mountains a month ago... we came out on the BRP at Rocky Knob Mountain or something; we went on down to Meadows of Dan. Been there before. Another guy on TN knows this story better than I do... "franklin".

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread