Luna Park, Seattle $10 gold found (1979)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
According to H. Glenn Carson's Treasure Hunting Annual Volume 1, p. 133, a $10 gold piece was found at extremely low tide by author John Shape about 1979 near the pilings for Luna Amusement Park. The park was mostly built over Puget Sound, so only at extremely low tides is much of the area available for detecting. Plan accordingly.

The coin was a 1906 S $10 gold eagle found in sand. Additional coins found during that night hunt were to Seated Liberty dimes: 1877 and 1886.

John Snape wrote this sentence to end his article: "I've never had that experience since, but don't we all hope that just once this could happen to each of us?" ABSOLUTELY!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Yes I've heard several stories of Gold Coins being found there probably around 10-20. My friend has found an indian head and a gold nugget there in the past. I missed my opportunity on it this year.

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and Tom76 hit it this year at the lowest tide, I got about 35 cents clad and a buzzbomb

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit it there many years ago on a record low tide...tons of .22 shell casings and not much else.

Ezkilll

Aug 20, 2012
Maple Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to go on a little learning excursion.

I went looking for Luna Park today and found the site. The shore side now is called Anchor Park, and appropriately has a large anchor there. It was high tide when I got there so no pilings or other evidence of Luna Park was visible. I was a little surprised that there isn't any plaque or marker of any kind related to Luna Park. To the one side of the park foundation is a small sandy beach.

I spent a half hour or so metal detecting in the sand where it transitioned from wet to dry and above. I am new to metal detecting and using the Garret Ace 250 I have. I was getting a lot of hits at 8" and below. When I tried to pinpoint them they seemed to run from beach to water, so I think they may be pipes. I decided not to try to dig them. I did dig several shallower targets. I found numerous small nails or nail fragments. Most were so small that they fell right through the holes of my sand scoop. I am very impressed with the ability of the Ace 250 to detect small items...even if what I found was mostly junk. I did find one penny (1990) and an interesting bottle cap.

Every day I learn a little more.
EzKilll

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread