coin cache found in stump at a park

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Unbelievable, my wife and her sister go out detecting their first time at a local park and find this buried in the dirt inside an old hollowed out tree stump. It ended up being roughly $34 worth including the 59 pennies that were half rotted and falling apart. Only one silver out of the bunch and it is a nickel, the rest were clad with the most current date being 2001. Just looking at the state of the post 82 pennies I would assume they have been stashed for awhile. Here are photos before and after cleaning and sorting. The girls say there is more they were just tired of digging. Ha! And of course I'm stuck at work.

ForumRunner_20120711_153751.png

ForumRunner_20120711_153827.png

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow.. Congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
As soon as I got off work I had my wife show me where it was and we managed to dig more up. A lot more slow going then earlier but it was still fun. We were still getting signals when we left so there is more there.

ForumRunner_20120712_083154.png

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Chimacum87- its in Al Borlin park in Monroe right below Lewis street park. If you are interested in checking it out I can give you directions on how to find the tree but its pretty easy to find. It's about 1/4 mile down the Al Borlin trail that parallels the skykomish river, eventually the trail turns left away from the river and the giant hollowed out tree is to your left, you can't miss it because it looks really out of place.

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Here's a couple photos of my pregnant wife detecting the inside of the tree. I wish I could have gotten a better shot of the tree but its surrounded by blackberries and stinging nettles.

ForumRunner_20120712_104943.png

ForumRunner_20120712_105013.png

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a stash like that once,There was an old closed school I drove by going to a friends house one day,so when I finished at friends house I went back to school pardon the pun. Started detecting front of school first found some coins, nothing to cool,some clad so there was a big tree to one side of school so as soon as I got close to the tree got penny after penny,got some dimes and nickles, no quarters at all.I finaly got board,had over 5 dollars and when
I left there were still more coins there so maybe next fall I'll go back and pick rest of stash. I post if anything good turns up Happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
The funny thing is we found a gold men's ring the next day in a different park.

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a cache at Riverside park in Everett. I was detecting along the river and came across a huge old oak tree. I got a strong signal at the base, dug down about 6 inches and ran into an old bucket. But...........it was full of old bolts.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeet....clad is always welcome in my house! A gold ring to boot! Nice.

HH,
Anita

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's sweet!! Makes you think why in the hell someone would put all that there!!

HH

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy tree rat lot is one heck of a find,,,, even though it is modern i think i would say banner on it

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet find!

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Yep, still my wifes best find.

Sent from my Android using TreasureNet

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy BaronH,

The 2001 coin would make me suspect some birds have been stashing those coins.

I saw a video once where a car wash was losing money, and they installed some cameras to catch the culprits. They found that some birds would actually go inside the change machine and come out with quarters. I don't remember exactly how much they found on the roof of that old car wash, but it was in the thousands.

Homar

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy BaronH,

I looked it up, and found that it was not a video that I watched but rather the pictures from one. The birds are Starlings, here is the link: www.utahbirds.org go to Bird Humor-Change is in the air. Over 4000 dollars were found on the roof.

Homar

Last edited:
OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Coazon de oro, your guess is as good as mine. There are a lot of factors that leave a world of possibilities. The area is heavily used due to the popular foot trail and fishing holes, not to mention teenagers like to sneak beers back there. That particular area also floods regularly which might explain the coins we were finding in every nook and cranny of the tree from the waist down. None were on the surface and most were buried in one area 4-6 in down with what appeared to be the badly rusted remains of a tin, maybe a cookie tin or coffee can. most people have either guessed a hobo stash or some kid ripped off grandmas change can. Either way it was fun and we still never went back out to get the rest of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread