Alki Beach - Seattle

Ezkilll

Aug 20, 2012
Maple Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am still in learning mode. I wanted to try somewhere easy to dig because I haven't got the hang of target discrimination yet.

I went to the Alki beach area near the volleyball area. I was hoping to get some good practice with recent coins not very deep.

I was getting a lot of hits and many were 8" or more deep. I dug a few showing 6" deep and I was surprised that most were very small nails or similar. One was about 1/16 inch diameter and less than 1/2inch long. I had a lot of trouble finding it. It dropped right through the sand scoop holes. I now understand the value of a handheld pin pointer wand.

I am having trouble with my sand technique. The sand scoop I have has holes in the bottom and back. As soon as I take a scoop of sand it immediately starts pouring out into the hole it just came from. That is fine for shallow targets.. but when I was trying to get deeper, it was a problem. Any suggestions are appreciated - I am still learning.

My final find of the day was a watch. It was very shallow and had clearly not been in the sand very long. I looked it up on line and it is not an expensive watch.. but it was fun to find something other than trash. I didn't find a single coin

I still have a lot to learn.

EzKilll

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
I'm more of a prospector than an MD'er, but finds like that watch are what keep me going back out when I do. Always cool to find something besides nails. My coolest so far has been a tin cup with the porcelain finish. Sits on my mantle full of nails (also from MD) 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread