Common hunting ground

min_roadkill

Aug 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a md ordered and have been reading the manual as well as determining areas to hunt when it arrives. I will try my yard first to get acquainted with my machine. After that My parents have a 140 acre farm that is around 100yrs old. I have a friend that owns a field next door to a school that has been operating for 40-50 years or more. Within 1 mile of my house there are 3 sites where houses once stood and 1 site where a school and store once operated. One of the house sites has a bottle dump with blue glass so I hope it will be good. I will have to obtain permission for a couple of those sites, but I know all the owners fairly well. After exploring local options I have a friend that owns land where a couple ghost towns/mining camps were located, so I should have no shortage of hunting ground for the foreseeable future.

crabtree

Mar 4, 2012
Charleston, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a md ordered and have been reading the manual as well as determining areas to hunt when it arrives. I will try my yard first to get acquainted with my machine. After that My parents have a 140 acre farm that is around 100yrs old. I have a friend that owns a field next door to a school that has been operating for 40-50 years or more. Within 1 mile of my house there are 3 sites where houses once stood and 1 site where a school and store once operated. One of the house sites has a bottle dump with blue glass so I hope it will be good. I will have to obtain permission for a couple of those sites, but I know all the owners fairly well. After exploring local options I have a friend that owns land where a couple ghost towns/mining camps were located, so I should have no shortage of hunting ground for the foreseeable future.

Wow, you have a lot of cool places close by to hunt. I wish I had some good leads on 100+ year old properties that haven't been covered with fill dirt. Where are you located?

crabtree

Mar 4, 2012
Charleston, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just wondering what types of property or areas other wv hunters search? I mostly hunt woods and some schools. Man I wish we could detect National Forests and state parks in WV. It's funny taxpayers pay for those areas and the idiocrats set all the rules and won't let people dig a small hole.

Anywhere that I know is old, hasn't been filled, and I can get permission. Old ball fields are good. I started out in playgrounds because they're loaded with clad so it's a good way to learn how all the different common coins ring up on the target id.

OP
OP
wvmountaineer

wvmountaineer

Aug 3, 2012
min_roadkill said:

Man if you need some company or some help with your detector on any those areas let me know? What md did u purchase?

smithna3

Feb 18, 2012
Williamstown WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett Atpro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep it would be nice to hunt state parks and the national forest. There has to be some really great spots in those places. I really like to hunt old home sights. I like trying to figure them out, who were they and how did they live, those kinds of things. Sure its fun to dig clad but the old stuff is what gets me going. always trying to find a new spot. I live close to Parkersburg so hunting the nationl forest really wouldnt be close to me even if it was aloud.

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
What is actually starting to make me mad is we can't dig a little tiny hole but yet the pipeline companies can bulldoze an entire ghost town!!!!!!

Last edited:

howardgooden

Aug 29, 2011
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE,Fisher F2,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like old properties and farm fields. They have treated me good! Getting permission is sometimes the hardest part of the gig but in the long run its well worth it!

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old schools, churches, coal company stores are good. fairgrounds, 4 h camps etc. etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread