Whites MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab excalibur
Thats really neat great find

MontelloMudder

Greenie
Mar 10, 2014
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this over the weekend. Thought it was cool finding something specific to the area.

Newcomer to the forum. I have lurked around reading lots of threads out of curiosity over the past year or so, but this post made me join up so I could post.

Wondering where you found this item? I live in Montello and am very interested in the history of Montello. I am not familiar with the "Tagatz Billiard Parlor", but am very intrigued. Wondering if you have been able to find out much about it or not? If not, I would be willing to reach out to some of my friends who are involved with the historical society. I have some suspicions on where this might have been in town, possibly right across from the former Smarts Store before it was torn down, but thats only my initial hunch.

OP
OP
oldier333

oldier333

Greenie
May 14, 2012
New London WI
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4k
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MontelloMudder

Greenie
Mar 10, 2014
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been on here in a while... I found it at the big park in town, if I remember right it was somewhere between the basketball courts and the road. I also found an old toy gun. I posted this find in another section and some folks got back to me about the business, I'll leave a link. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tokens-tags/298002-billiard-parlor-tag.html

Saw your posts yesterday about both these threads. Thought that I would share with you and others what I found out by checking around with some of my historical sources....

Mackaydon was correct, the owners were Chris and Clara Tagatz. She did die in 1986, and here is the link to her obituary where it talks about the business they owned for about 25 years. http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/WIMARQUE/2002-01/1012182134

Here is a picture of his/her headstone. Both are buried in Montello, at the eastside cemetery:
9475847_109553618894.jpg

The business was located on West Montello Street. It was in part of what is now Granite Falls Supper Club located at 36 West Montello Street. You might know where that is? Or else a quick street view check on Google Maps has a clear shot of it.

Apparently this building used to be 2 separate businesses back then. If you have ever been inside Granite Falls Supper Club, you can easily tell where they used to be split. The bar area and dining room were at the time were separate businesses, and the Billiard parlor would have been on the west side (right side if your looking at the front of the building from the street).

The guy that I talked to remembered when it was there and said that it was just kind of a place to hang out, shoot pool, and take your kids for a quick candy treat. If you have any other questions, let me know and I will see what I can find out for you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions