Newbie looking for help...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is for trashy areas. The bigger the coil the more targets may be under it during a swing. Too many different targets make it hard for the detector to give the correct reading or the correct sound. The small coil does not go as deep but due to its size, it should allow for better target separation and I.D. in those trashy or target rich areas.

OP
OP
H

Huntcrazy

Feb 14, 2016
Middleton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter treasure hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I should always use that one in dane county Parks lots of trash

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try out in the shallow water in front of the lakeshore dorms on Lake Medota and along the path. There is tons of broken old glass there in the muck, must be some good metal targets and coins.

OP
OP
H

Huntcrazy

Feb 14, 2016
Middleton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a park ranger come talk to me when I was by a park along lake monona , he said a lady called the cops on me for digging holes, he asked if I was covering them, I said yes and showed him my plugs I had cut, and he said ok, and was telling me spots were lots of people hangout , and a lady started screaming that I should be ticketed, and he said to her , why he is not bugging anybody, and he is completely in the law to be metal detecting, she kept screaming, I offered to leave so she would calm down, and not cause trouble, the park ranger said no, and he had the police come and she was ticketed for disturbing the peace......

OP
OP
H

Huntcrazy

Feb 14, 2016
Middleton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just some pocket change and a weird copper plate, with a design that's hard to make out, I did find 4 silver rings last summer in a few different parks

Thewoodbutcher

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2016
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an FYI...it is illegal to MD in any Madison and monona parks. I take that back...you can MD...but you can't break the surface of the dirt....that's what the city website says. You can get a permit for Dane county parks though.

OP
OP
H

Huntcrazy

Feb 14, 2016
Middleton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a park ranger And he said I was completely legal to MD in any county park.

Thewoodbutcher

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2016
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup county parks are good to go. I got a free permit that lasts 3 years. That doesn't mean any park in the county though, there are city parks, county parks and state parks, all in Madison. State parks and DNR land are illegal. Madison and Monona have no dig laws. Just putting it out there. Best to call parks department and get it from them. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Huntcrazy

Feb 14, 2016
Middleton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called and picked up my free 3 year permit today after work, thanks for the heads up,

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am new to metal detecting as well. Would it be possible for you to post a link to the application for the permit?

OP
OP
H

Huntcrazy

Feb 14, 2016
Middleton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't find a link for a application inline, I went down to the department of parks , if you call them they will mail you the application, but if you do it that way you may have to wait for your permit to come in the mail

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread