LOOKING FOR FELLOW WISCONSIN METAL DETECTORISTS

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There seems to be very little life in the Wisconsin sub forum, and I am hoping to change that.
I am really trying to find other Wisconsin hunters that I can occasionally connect with to talk about this great state of ours and maybe detect with occasionally.
Wisconsin is absolutely rich with history, and full of great places to hunt. Maybe not East coast great, but still.
- My town was founded in the late 1600's as a fur trading outpost.
- It had a military hospital for soldiers from 1859-1864.
- We fought a battle during the War of 1812, and were even lost to the British Gov't. for a short time afterwards.
- The Black Hawk war (1832) was right out of our back door, and the treaty to end it was signed right here in town.
Hopefully there are others on here in southern Wisconsin with the same hobby looking for others to share it with.

I am hoping some fellow Wisconsinites will post pics on this thread of their favorite Wisconsin finds.

Some of my favorite finds from my first year, 2017:

Rifleman's cuff button, believed to be War of 1812:
4455.jpeg

Dragoon cuff button:
20170808_153924.jpg

U*S coat button, believed to be War of 1812 (I have found 5 of these so far):
20170826_165810.jpg

Belt buckle, matching War of 1812 shoulder buckle measurements #P0448:
Ridgeway Reference Library, Civil War plates and buckles
20170827_151342.jpg
20170827_151350.jpg

My one and only 90% silver, a 1940 Mercury dime:
20170810_165731.jpg

I found (2)- 1887 IHP, both in PERFECT condition. I gave one to my son, who was with me that day:
20170831_142314.jpg

Towle Mfg. "victor" series fork, circa 1882, silver plated:
20170802_212451.jpg

These are just a few of my favorites, i will post more if anyone responds with their Wisconsin found favorite finds.

Thank you for looking, and happy hunting out there! Spring has almost sprung!!

Last edited:

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where in Wisconsin are you? I’m from the Twin Cities but frequent the La Crosse area a lot. I would be up for getting together sometime I head back home.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am just south of there, in Prairie du Chien. But I own a rental in Lacrosse, and am up there often. Next time you are in the area, and want to hunt somewhere, shoot me a PM.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am just south of there, in Prairie du Chien. But I own a rental in Lacrosse, and am up there often. Next time you are in the area, and want to hunt somewhere, shoot me a PM.

I figured it was PDC from the description. Did you find the buried loot from the fort [emoji6] haha
Really historical place to MD with the right permissions.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I figured it was PDC from the description. Did you find the buried loot from the fort [emoji6] haha
Really historical place to MD with the right permissions.

About the gold, I wish! Maybe then I could upgrade my machine!

Last edited:
OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may have to hunt my rental a few more times!
Congrats to that Tiredman, was it recent?

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are making me sorry I ever left Three Lakes. 😁

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are making me sorry I ever left Three Lakes. ��

I have looked at your posts, and you are definitely blessed where you are! Relics for me spark the most joy, and the spots I have permission for have really produced so far.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I may have to hunt my rental a few more times!
Congrats to that Tiredman, was it recent?

No it was around 2003 or so and is in the best finds on this site, and found with a radio shack detector made by Bounty Hunter. The article was in W & E Silver and Gold and Best Finds issue. It was from Dahlonega 1843.
I see you got some old relics, buttons and a buckle. I dug a bunch of civil war buttons and a sash buckle, the oldest button I dug was from around 1776 and claimed by another old member here to have been a French regimental button.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Still for those looking for hunting buddies, check out the Zumbro Valley Metal detecting club, the one in Stevenspoint should still be active too, its been some time since my move to Montana (14 years). Some of the Zumbro club members do hunt over in Lacrosse. One fellow I met at the Stevenspoint hunt about 18 years ago got a small cache of gold coins by researching a gambler who was killed after the game, but the winnings were not found at the time of the murder. The detectorist researched it and figured the route he took to the home he never reached. When a demo project took place he went a looking and found it.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Now for those who have yet to find the stuff you want to, there is besides my detecting book which is all Wisconsin, another to soon be released detecting book coming out by a fellow in Chippewa Falls. So that well be two books on hunting Wisconsin.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now for those who have yet to find the stuff you want to, there is besides my detecting book which is all Wisconsin, another to soon be released detecting book coming out by a fellow in Chippewa Falls. So that well be two books on hunting Wisconsin.

What is the title of your book? I would love to purchase it! As far as you moving to Montana, that's quite a coincidence! I am originally from Kalispell.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Two museums in Kalispell I contacted for lost treasure of Montana Glacier Country.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this your book Tiredman?
https://books.google.com/books/about/Novice_to_Gold_Coin.html?id=OTxYvgAACAAJ&hl=en

If so, I am always looking to expand my knowledge base. It looks like it could be a really good read, and will purchase if it is.
But as far as your comment about my title, I do hope you took a step back, since research about a Wisconsin diggers surrounding is what I hope to invite. Kind of like the newspaper clippings Jeff_of_pa likes to post, and I happen to like to read. It's hard to imagine how many treasure quests those have sparked. The Wisconsin forum on here is dead, and no one else seems interested in bringing anything into it. I do. This state is full of neat places to explore, both in book and on foot.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
My book but you can get it much cheaper look for $19.99 Amazon.com

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Tiredman. I will use your years of expertise to further myself as a detectorist for sure!

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you include last year, I have one year under my belt.:laughing7: BUT, I was able to detect at least 1 hour every sunny day from June-November, so that might add up to slightly more than one year.
I really look forward to reading your book. I do hope it would be OK to maybe PM you from time to time with questions about it, since I bought it this afternoon.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread