Milwaukee Double Gold Eagles Double Cache Find

tangledweb

Jun 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, in the 1970's, when I lived on the 2800 block of North Weil Street in Milwaukee, WI, my wife told me of a find of gold eagle coins on property on the 2700 block of North Weil Street by her uncle. He had been living in a duplex on the east side of the 2700 block of North Weil at the time (1970's). The rental house was built in 1904 and is now owned by a man in Glendale, Wisconsin.

He had just gotten a new metal detector and was trying it out in the backyard which had a couple of old stone benches in it. As he was scanning near one of the benches the metal detector went off. Digging down about a foot he located a leather pouch. When he opened it, he saw it was filled with American double gold eagle coins. Upon further metal detecting, the metal detector went off near the other stone bench. Again he dug down and located yet another leather pouch. Upon opening that one, he saw that it, too, was filled with American double gold eagle coins.

He was quite secretive about his find. I never found out how exactly how many coins were found nor the denominations of them. I did find out that when he bought a house on the 2800 block of North Weil St. a few years later he used just two of the coins to build a garage on that property.

Not a bad find on the first day of metal detecting! Since there were two caches of gold coins found could there be more still buried on the property? Possibly. I've never gotten the chance to get back to Milwaukee and ask the current owner if I could go metal detecting in his back yard.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat story, welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia :hello:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Double Eagles must run in Wisconsin. 😂 My MD mentor's mentor was hunting an old abandoned farm in Oneida Co., and got a hit about halfway between the farmhouse and barn. He started to dig and uncovered the top of a pipe...like a waterline running between the two buildings. He stopped digging and went on hunting. Just before he left for the day, however, he went back to see how far that pipe ran. Couldn't get a signal 6 inches in any direction from the pipe. Dug it up and...BAM! A 2" pipe about 8" long...with screwcaps at both ends. Took a pair of channellocks and broke off one screwcap...and out poured TWENTY DOUBLE EAGLES! 😱 That was in the mid-70's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread