Fisher F5 Review And Finds Post

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
I agree. I guess I'll have to email Minelab and see if they can change the "all metal mode" to the "some metal mode." All in good fun. Thank God for this forum.

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aaargh! I don't consider the 'all-metal' mode on the XT70 to be a true all-metal mode as in the so-called prospecting mode. It's AFAIK a zero disc. mode. We're basically talking terminology here, I suppose. With any other detector, throughout the years, all-metal refers to a true all-metal unfiltered mode. Just take the very tiniest piece of metal that the 'prospecting' mode will sound off on and then try to find it while in 'all-metal' mode. That generally shows the difference between all-metal and zero disc. Regardles of what Minelab wants to call it, I still refer to all-metal as the single channel unfiltered mode not the zero disc. mode. I've seen it that way for soo many years that I can't see any reason to change now. ..Willy.

Your are precisely correct on the zero disc vs. all metal modes. They are two complexly different circuits / programs.

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aaargh! I don't consider the 'all-metal' mode on the XT70 to be a true all-metal mode as in the so-called prospecting mode. It's AFAIK a zero disc. mode. We're basically talking terminology here, I suppose. With any other detector, throughout the years, all-metal refers to a true all-metal unfiltered mode. Just take the very tiniest piece of metal that the 'prospecting' mode will sound off on and then try to find it while in 'all-metal' mode. That generally shows the difference between all-metal and zero disc. Regardles of what Minelab wants to call it, I still refer to all-metal as the single channel unfiltered mode not the zero disc. mode. I've seen it that way for soo many years that I can't see any reason to change now. ..Willy.

Your are precisely correct on the zero disc vs. all metal modes. They are two completely different circuits / programs.

Alden

Jan 13, 2016
Dalton,PA
Detector(s) used
WHITES IDX PRO----TESORO LOBO ST----GARRETT ACE-250 PRO---FISHER F5 w/ 10' and 5'DD coil's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOUR REVIEW of F5 is SPOT ON BRIAN,....

I was considering getting the Fisher F70 (and still may) but bought the F5 as I really liked the design of the F5 with it's awesome user interface, ability to ground balance to salt, and the real time ground data display (ground phase, magnetite meter, ground balance, confidence meter). I believe these features are something no other metal detector manufacturer is currently doing, so Fisher is going in the right direction in my opinion.

To test the F5 out I spent a few days at my parents house who live in a community founded in the 1860's built around a large fresh water lake. During the Victorian era it flourished with both lake front resorts, as well as mineral "health" spring resorts, so I thought
PHP:
i
t would be a great place to test the F5 with a variety of hunting conditions.

Excited to try my new machine out, the first place I hit was the town center from the late 1860's to the 1960's. The first target was a clad quarter about 6" down, properly ID'd with the correct depth indicated. After a couple of hours of finding 1960's and newer coins, as well as a large piece of rusty iron about 8" deep with a coin tone, and a small piece of aluminum roofing/siding also about 8" deep, I was just about to pack it up and try another site, when I hit a small 10' square patch that started producing wheat pennies, along with a few relics (old skeleton key, art deco ink pen top, etc). I was excited to start pulling wheats, hoping silver was close by, but it wasn't to be. The wheats were 1924S, 1929S, 1942S, 1946, 1957D. I hunted several other areas of the park, and no more older coins appeared. The park has had several renovations, so I suspect that the soil has been moved around a lot, except possibly this one spot under an old evergreen tree. To double check the F5, I went back over the wheatie spot with my Sovereign using the 8" Coin Search coil to see if it missed anything, and the only thing the Sovereign found that the F5 didn't sound off on, was a big rusty iron bracket which the Sovereign sounded off with a high coin tone.

Shown on an 1890's map was a Victorian era water front resort (actually built right over the water) close to my parents house, so my next trip was to this spot. I turf hunted for a while and found quite a few modern coins. Then I headed to the beach, and within 10 minutes I found a 1918S Mercury dime about 6"-7" deep in the wet sand. Not far from the Merc I found a broken Victorian era ring with a glass stone. I uncovered several other relics (old brass gas lighting valve, old celluoid pocket knife cover with a metal tag that reads "Endicott Johnson Shoes", etc) and more modern era coins from the area.

The next place I hunted was a friends house built in the 1940's that has a very small yard. Found two clad dimes, and then a 1942 Mercury dime came out of their yard about 4" deep.

Next I decided to try an old swimming hole on the lake. When I was hunting the wet sand beach the machine ran stable, and I was popping out coins left and right. Copper pennies, dimes, nickels and quarters hit really hard (as do lead fishing weights). Found my first Sacagawea dollar about 8" deep. After about an hour of hunting the beach and finding lots of coins, I got a really nice hit. I dug it, and found my first gold ring!!! It's a thin 14K gold young ladies "15 Anos" ring (Hispanic celebration for when young ladies reach 15), it was about 7" deep. Also found was an old "Kastmaster ACME Tackle Co." copper spinner.

I really enjoyed fresh water beach hunting, although currently the lake is having an issue with low oxygen levels (due to low water levels and an infestation of weeds), which is causing the carp to die off. There's thousands of dead and decaying carp littering the shores, and the water it nasty and really stinky, so I decided not to go into the water until that's cleared up. I'll go back to the swimming hole area, although I plan to try my Sovereign with the 12.5" Sun Ray and 15" WOT to look for deep jewelery.

The ground seems to be fairly mild there, and there's little to no EMI, so I was able to run the gain at full strength almost the entire time, with the lowest setting at 9. I was also able to run the threshold at +7 - +9 most of the time, and the machine was stable. Although the machine has three different frequencies you can select, it ran so stable I never had to try it, although I suspect in the Bay Area that will be a useful feature as my Coinstrike has a hard time in some spots with heavy EMI.

The manual states that you can run an audible threshold hum, but I was never able to hear it, even at full threshold. I mainly ran four tones (I'm not positive what advantage you'd have running less?), and ran the disc at 25, to mask iron and small foil.

The ground balance worked awesome. In disc mode I would pump the coil 1" - 6" a few times, and within seconds the ground balance and phase numbers would lock, then simply hit the phase lock button and it was ready to go. I was concerned that its lack of a volume control might be an issue, but it sounded fine through a set of Sun Ray Pro Golds. Actually I thought the audio data was excellent, with the various tones being very distinct (although I'd still like to hear a threshold hum).

The pin-pointing is outstanding. At the loudest audio signal I'd dig a rectangle shaped hinged plug slightly larger then the size of the inner coil oval and (almost) without fail the target was inside, and right around the depth it indicated.

Oddly it had a tough time differentiating between modern pull-tabs and nickels. Often when it would give a good nickel hit, but I would recover a modern pull-tab . That got me thinking that perhaps when it was telling me it hit a pull-tab, perhaps it was really a nickel, so I decided to start digging all pull-tabs while turf hunting. Sure enough, several pull-tab hits were indeed nickels. (Note - checking the manual after hunting indicated that modern pull-tabs do read under nickels, but not vice versa ).

I found that small rusted iron (small'ish rusty nails mainly) would sound off as a good high coin hit (dime/penny or higher).

The manual, although somewhat short, is well written providing good explanations of all the controls, and displays. It provides a lot of technical information about ground balancing, magnetite and how it affects metal detecting, as well as the ground phase and lots of other useful information.

Conclusion:

What I liked - All and all the F5 is a great detector, it's fun, easy to use, light weight and powerful. Powered by two 9V batteries will provide 40+ hours of use. The detector weighs less then 3lbs with batteries, so one can swing all day without fatigue, and the Fisher "S" rod design is also very ergonomic, further contributing to it's usability. The controls are very well laid out, all knobs are easy to thumb, and logically arranged (no menus to fumble through). The large display is easy to read, and provides the user with valuable useful data. The F5 hits hard on coins, and jewelery and it's pin-pointing is first class. The real time ground data display is great, as you can easily see if one has moved into a different type of ground and in 5 seconds can re-balance the detector to match the current ground conditions.

What I didn't care for - When coins or other metal objects (even pull-tabs) are close to the surface, the machine goes into an overload mode. I didn't care for this, as anything from a pull-tab to a coin could be under the coil and the only way to find out what it is, is to dig the target. I can understand if there's a hub cap an inch under the ground, but pull-tabs and coins? It does have a propensity to give false positives on small rusty iron, I need to do further testing on this, as perhaps the threshold can eliminate or minimize this phenomenon.

All finds (over $10.50 in change):

View attachment 237421

Wheats (1924S, 1929S, 1942S, 1946, 1957D) and Mercs (1918S and 1942D):

View attachment 237422

GOLD in the hole!

View attachment 237423

F5 Close-up and 14K Gold Ring:

View attachment 237424

14K Ring and Victorian Era Partial Ring:

View attachment 237425

Nice way to end the day:

View attachment 237426

HH,
Brian

Hello,Brian,Your use and review of fisher F5 is SPOT on.I too notice the "IN FLUX" lock up at close junk.I noticed it's when I used max Scrim.I love my F5 and stock coil,But also ordered a 5'DD to putz with.My stock coil,I pass up loud talk and dig peeps.I seem to hit the older items.I will let you know how my 5'DD coil works.Loved your review.You dont sound like the Noob you claimed in your review.LIke fisherlab's,your on the right track too..Regards Alden

Alden

Jan 13, 2016
Dalton,PA
Detector(s) used
WHITES IDX PRO----TESORO LOBO ST----GARRETT ACE-250 PRO---FISHER F5 w/ 10' and 5'DD coil's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F5 Stock 10' Coil vs Fisher 5' DD....

Hello Everyone,I noticed a Spot on fisher review,and it caused my to locate this great forum.I am Alden.Ive had a few different unit's,Whites IDX pro--Tesoro Lobo ST,and now the Fisher F5..I live in Penna,but had the Tesoro out west in Idaho.Once I moved back to Penna,The Tesoro mainly for gold,was to confusing here in the north East.I headed for the Fisher F5.Like Brians Review,I agreed 1000% with each word.I love mine and chasing the lite peep's,I pull items up from China.,lol,.typed depth.Using max scrim,I have had mine lock up as he spoke of.In Penna,Lots of multi targets in close proximity.Through a Ebay dealer I met, "Treasure Mountain Metal detectors","Ed",I was able to snag a Fisher lab's 5'DD for $110 new.THanks to Ed being a honest dealer,out to get folk's a good deal,I saved myself $50 from what other's charge on Ebay.I am awaiting it in the mail now.I will post how I do with it.As Brian stated,I think Fisher's F5,adjustable and manual ground balance makes the unit.We have many soil type's even here in Pa.And knowing you can change and adapt in a moment's notice,Means POWER..I was in a horse stable last weekend.Water sat,and 6 inches of sand,down to rocky soil the rest of the way.I got a reading of 50 cent silver.Just a peep.As I dug through the first 6 inches of frozen sand,I kept checking,peep kept getting louder.Finally I was down 15 inches.I couldnt go anymore.THe water setting,made the digging miserable.I chose to cover it back in and come back next spring with a shovel.I was hitting my knuckles on side walls.I set my 10' coil in holes bottom to assure it wasnt wall signal,and flat on bottom,Said I was a mere one inch away from target.Next day it rained 1 inch and then snow,SO I wont see what I spent my day digging until next spring.I never had a unit locate so deep.I know it is the manual Ground balance.I sometime's find changing soil's on one property.Unit's with auto-GB,lose depth.I think it is F5's best Attribute.My friend I hunt with,uses a garrett 1250 with 5' coil and he hits early barber halves,Seated Lib coins,so I went for the 5' DD..I noticed the aftermarket coil's,but Ive heard mixed reviews.I was fretting tossing off my crucial calibration,so stuck with fisher's.I am pleased I now have a forum to speak with other's and learn.Like Brian mentioned with his review,he said he started in JAN,But by the sound of his review,He learned his unit.The directions are a MUST with the F5,because they are unlike all other's.I actually wrote out cards,to memorized crucial GB procedure and other setting's,and took it with me in the field until I learned my machine.Now,I am a relic predator with a mega true machine.Fisher labs is on the right track for certain.But cant expect anything less than from the pioneer's who first made their name a household brand within the finest genre on earth.Love mine!!! if you can,Go buy a F5 with any coil,Superb unit.Hope to make many new friend's here and learn from other's experience.Regards,Alden-Scranton Penna...

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F5 is sweet especially for the price the biggest drawback I see is no coils. just the stock coil nothing else.

I see tons of coils --

F5
MSRP
5" DD Round White Coil - Item 5COIL-F5F
$159.00
8" Concentric Open Coil - Item 8COIL-7TEK
$119.99
10" Concentric Elliptical Coil - Item 10COIL-F5F
$159.00
10" DD White Elliptical Closed Coil - Item 10COILDD-FRL
$179.00
11"DD Elliptical Open Coil - Item 11COIL-F5F
$199.00

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hello Everyone,I noticed a Spot on fisher review,and it caused my to locate this great forum.I am Alden.Ive had a few different unit's,Whites IDX pro--Tesoro Lobo ST,and now the Fisher F5..I live in Penna,but had the Tesoro out west in Idaho.Once I moved back to Penna,The Tesoro mainly for gold,was to confusing here in the north East.I headed for the Fisher F5.Like Brians Review,I agreed 1000% with each word.I love mine and chasing the lite peep's,I pull items up from China.,lol,.typed depth.Using max scrim,I have had mine lock up as he spoke of.In Penna,Lots of multi targets in close proximity.Through a Ebay dealer I met, "Treasure Mountain Metal detectors","Ed",I was able to snag a Fisher lab's 5'DD for $110 new.THanks to Ed being a honest dealer,out to get folk's a good deal,I saved myself $50 from what other's charge on Ebay.I am awaiting it in the mail now.I will post how I do with it.As Brian stated,I think Fisher's F5,adjustable and manual ground balance makes the unit.We have many soil type's even here in Pa.And knowing you can change and adapt in a moment's notice,Means POWER..I was in a horse stable last weekend.Water sat,and 6 inches of sand,down to rocky soil the rest of the way.I got a reading of 50 cent silver.Just a peep.As I dug through the first 6 inches of frozen sand,I kept checking,peep kept getting louder.Finally I was down 15 inches.I couldnt go anymore.THe water setting,made the digging miserable.I chose to cover it back in and come back next spring with a shovel.I was hitting my knuckles on side walls.I set my 10' coil in holes bottom to assure it wasnt wall signal,and flat on bottom,Said I was a mere one inch away from target.Next day it rained 1 inch and then snow,SO I wont see what I spent my day digging until next spring.I never had a unit locate so deep.I know it is the manual Ground balance.I sometime's find changing soil's on one property.Unit's with auto-GB,lose depth.I think it is F5's best Attribute.My friend I hunt with,uses a garrett 1250 with 5' coil and he hits early barber halves,Seated Lib coins,so I went for the 5' DD..I noticed the aftermarket coil's,but Ive heard mixed reviews.I was fretting tossing off my crucial calibration,so stuck with fisher's.I am pleased I now have a forum to speak with other's and learn.Like Brian mentioned with his review,he said he started in JAN,But by the sound of his review,He learned his unit.The directions are a MUST with the F5,because they are unlike all other's.I actually wrote out cards,to memorized crucial GB procedure and other setting's,and took it with me in the field until I learned my machine.Now,I am a relic predator with a mega true machine.Fisher labs is on the right track for certain.But cant expect anything less than from the pioneer's who first made their name a household brand within the finest genre on earth.Love mine!!! if you can,Go buy a F5 with any coil,Superb unit.Hope to make many new friend's here and learn from other's experience.Regards,Alden-Scranton Penna...
J

Here is a link to the F5 "Bible" in case you don't know about it already.

F5 bible how to get it?

Lots of us crazy Fisher guys discuss these fine units over there all the time.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread