Any old-time Fisher users out there using a new one?

I have been a big time Fisher fan for years and consider the older Fishers to be the best machines ever. I am not a fan of Wal-mart or Bounty Hunters. Knowing that B.H. owns Fisher now for a couple of years, I am afraid to buy a new Fisher model. I apologize for not reading all of the other posts on these units and I would like to ask a general question. Are the new Fisher machines (under Bounty hunter) as good as the older ones? Anything comparable to Relic hunting legends 1266x or 1270x? Is the quality the same or cheap like the Bounty Hunter? Is the depth good or do they only go 3 inches deep like the B.H.? I know they kept some of Fisher's staff on board, but I feel I have reason to be worried about the new machines. I would appreciate some honest responses and not the usual "sugar-coated, every machine is great" answers that I always see on this forum. My intention is not to offend B.H. users, I am just not a fan of their machines.
Long live Fisher!
Dave.

Willy

I just picked up a used F75, too much snow on the ground to use it though, and from what little testing I've done it seems like a bang-up detector. It's definitely more complicated than the CZ6a I had, but quicker and more sensitive. Not as rock solid build-wise, but still very decent and comparable to most anything else out there by other manufacturers. It seems to me that it's a detector that would suit a person that really likes to 'push' things. Doing some tests with Canadian coins and some gold nuggets (I prospect) with the F75, Sov.Gt, and GMT showed the F75 being much better on our coins and gold than the Sov. and it was edging up to the GMT re. sensitivity to small gold. That's d@mn impressive. ..Willy.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Muddyhandz, Skypilot02 here. The new F-70 and F-75 are really deep seeking machines. With that said, I will tell you, the first ones to be produced had several issues. The '75 I own, for instance, could not be used in town, or if you have a cell phone on in your pocket, as the electro magnetic interference (EMI), would cause such chattering the machine was useless. I am currently modifying mine, as the shield to stop EMI from the factory is graphite, the poorest and least expensive to buy. If you have ever been inside an older Fisher, I'm sure you noticed the aluminum "box" around the electronics. This is far superior to graphite, but of course, isn't as good as copper. The later machines produced seem to have had this problem addressed. Now: As for rugged construction, you will definitely notice a huge difference between, say, a 1266X and the F-75. This is due to the fact that the '75 uses a fiberglass handle on which to mount the display, and the fact that the stem that bolts to the display is very short and only goes down to the first screw in the handle. When you plug your coil in, the display head will actually deflect, or twist somewhat, appearing to be very weak. Operational issues include the fact that the battery case is too tall for the batteries, and if sat down in a regular manner on the ground, the machine may cut off. The discrimination on the '75 is also unlike anything ever seen before. The adjustments are really sensitive, and you can "notch out" either the upper or lower scale of each selected item. This can be very confusing for some users, but once the manual is studied and fully understood, they work great. I would recommend that if you buy one, make sure it has all the latest factory upgrades, because if not, they will charge you to upgrade it. The benefits of the '75 is the weight, the super depth and the longevity of battery life. Bottom line: The F-70 and F-75 have very similar electronics, with the exception of the '75 having the ability to be fine tuned, i.e., more adjustments. The F-70 has the head mounted on the pole instead of a handle, therefore is much more sturdy feeling. Very Important!!: If you take the time to learn the '75, and it's setup, I'm sure you will be very pleased with it. If not, then you may end up inventing vile words just to describe First Texas. I've posted a fix for the battery problem, and would suggest that you read SaginawIan's posts regarding this machine, as he was, like you, wary of the new detector. I will say he loves it now that he owns one! This is the nuts and bolts as best as I can give them to you. I currently own, or have owned, practically all the "top of the line detectors", so to speak, and humbly submit this to you, as I believe I can speak on this subject with as much authority as anyone else. If you have any questions, feel free to P.M. me and I'll do my best to answer them. Great hunting and good luck!!! Regards, Richard.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few of the older Fisher detectors and from what I figure from reading all the bad reports about sloppy customer service in this forum and elsewhere, I know I'll never buy another one. I am not a big fan of Bounty Hunters either, but the upscale ones have a lot going for them.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Had a CZ7, have a F70 now

Already have gotten a bit deeper & still learning. Looks like less problems with iron, too. Weight is lighter. F70 has 4 AA, CZ7 had 12AA. I'm pleased. HH, George (MN)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Being a CZ fan my only want from Fisher was a DD coil. I knew this coil design would give their machines an edge in hte field. FT bought them out and took the broughtthe T-2 design to the Fisher body, as I understand it. I know I saw a T-2 a coulpe years ago before the F-75 was introduced and was told then by an older wiser detectorist that this was going to blow away everthing on the market.

When Fisher introduced the F-75 I was elated but as often is the case waited to see what issues would pop up, it was after all a very new direction for their line. So early last year when I decided I would go for the F-75 I first sent my CZ-20 in for a tune up. The service from those people was unacceptable at several levels so I again put my decision to buy on hold. Reading Skypilot02'sglowing reports did at first smack of worship to me. But I can see he knows his stuff and those issues I've seen first hand with others who used the F-75 have been fairly well explained by some of his posts. He obviously has some technical background related to Fishers so I respect that. However with the introduction of the E-Trac and the results I am seeing from it first hand from people I know I'm stuck tossing the cost vs. results equation again. Especially given several guys I know got rid of their F-75's for that ETrac and are not looking back.

Meantime another new machine caught my eye, the White's TDI. Being a Ron (surfscanner) designed Pi, it looks equally impressive though it's a different animal entirely. So like yoruself I'm torn between brand loyalty and known results and yet a new technological hurdle, the enhanced PI. Since my long lived CZ-7 died and I have no intention of sending it to FT I am again considering all three options. Still have my CZ-20/21 hybrid.

But I also have three CZ coils sitting idly by. The puck, 8" 'er and the 10.5" 'er. Got until March to make the call. Good luck on your decision!

Skypilot02, Would it possible to can the board or is it better to line the housing?

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Lowbatts, Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to read all my posts on the '75, and didn't jump to conclusions concerning my personal evaluation of this machine. I sincerely tried to explain to the best of my ability both the positive and negative aspects of this detector. Not very often does a person find some one with a truly open mind. Very refreshing! As for the EMI shield, there is very little room inside the housing, I suppose one could box the board, however, it would be a very, very close fit. First Texas sprayed the housing with graphite and then attached the shield wire with a piece of tape! Of course, graphite is the most inexpensive, (cheap! LOL!!) shielding and naturally the least effective. What I have done to mine is cover the inside of the housing with a multi layer of aluminum tape, (like the 1200 series had an aluminum box around them), and also shielded the electronics in the battery compartment, as that is where the volume control circuit is located, as well as using shielded wire to run to the display, all grounded to the pole. Once again, many thanks for the consideration and objectiveness!! :thumbsup: Great hunting and good luck, Lowbatts!!! Regards, Richard. P.S. I guess I took the long way around to say lining the housing is what I considered best!

Willy

So, did the new shielding make an appreciable difference? I bought a used F75 and, since there's no warranty to void, wouldn't hesitate to tear it open. On the other hand, I was doing some testing (have some Canadian coins and some tiny gold nuggets) in the garage and under fluorescent lighting and found it to be stable. I even had the sens. really cranked up. Maybe it's a case of some units are hot.. some not. I've had this happen with other brands (White's, Garrett, ML, Tesoro), so it's probably just par for the course. ..Willy.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Thanks Skypilot.

Is it possible to just isolate the rx circuitry and can that? Doubtful anything we'd carry would have cross over issues with the tx lines. Can't tell you the number of cell phones out there with a can and mylar fix but those were earlier analog models when board real estate was a premium and mfr'ing tolerances barely allowed.

Might follow Willy's lead.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I have used the CZ5 and CZ3d and currently own the 1266 and F75. In short - I think Fisher has improved on performance but sacrificed on build quality.

Let me make one caveat : build quality is less ONLY when compared to the previous Fishers (CZ, 1200's). When compared to some other more modern detectors out there it's about the same or better. :icon_scratch: Hope that makes sense . . . Too bad they can't put the F75 electronics in the CZ box? Hmmm. let me work on that one . . . ;D

I have one of the more recent F75's. In my opinion the F75 gets overall better depth on relics/coins, and is much better with it's discrimination. It is easier to swing being very light and well balanced. The build quality of the F75 is not great- but not terrible either. It's certainly not up to par with the CZ's - or 1266. The F75 is plastic - no doubt about it. But I suppose if the consumer demands a light detector - that's what we get. When I look at the 1266 and compare it with the F75 - I gotta think that the 1266 cost the company twice as much to build given the solid nature of the 1266. I then envision a businessman asking the engineer " what's our bottom line? can't we make that out of plastic - it will reduce our cost x amount and increase profitablity!" :o However, I have not had a problem with the F75's sturdiness and I have been rough with it trudging through woods bashing branches out of the way. In fact, the more I use it, the more I think it is pretty darn reliable. I've gotten it wet, muddy, snow covered, fell on it, dropped it, tripped over it, and had my dog chew on it - yet, it still looks like new! I really think the F75 is a winner and a worthwhile upgrade over the previous models. Unfortunately, it's gotten a bad rap by the initial bad bunch that they shipped out. Too bad b/c some will never feel confident in Fisher again - and I can't say I blame them. But if enough satisfied customers put out the good word - maybe they can rebound.
Bottom line - I'd get one if I were you. :thumbsup:

there are some really good posts about the F75 on this board,

Ian

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Hello, all. Willy, I haven't compared the shielding and performance differential, if there is one, as I haven't finished the other mods, but I believe after First Texas's 2nd or 3rd revision, they addressed the problems with the earlier machines, and it could well be you have a later model. Take, for instance SaginawIan's '75, his seems to be "spot on", as the British say. However, thanks for replying! :thumbsup: I'll post the results for sure, either positive or negative, once the machine is complete. Lowbatts, Here are some pictures posted on another board, and I didn't show the display itself, so as you can see, I really don't think I could can just the rx circuit, as they "stack" one over the other. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,207614.0.htm Thanks for replying!! Good luck and great hunting all!! Regards, Richard.

OP
OP
D
Thanks for the very informative posts. I'm sure the light weight design feels good on the arm. (the 1266x has given me carpel tunnel ) One thing that I noticed that isn't mentioned much is battery life. It seems that most newer machines in general only get about 25-30 hours battery life. My friend has an I.D. Excel and he had to buy 3 sets of rechargeables just so he could hunt a full day! I get 100+ hours on the 1266x with 8 AA's and I never owned rechargeables because I can buy a 40 pack for $14. My friend only gets 5 or 6 hours on each set of rechargeable batteries (Energizer) and I don't know if they are making these batteries cheaper or what.
Yeah, I am worried about quality. The F-75 sounds good but there is nothing worse than having to ship away your machine in the middle of peak season! Yes, it is a common thing of nowadays, that some are built good and some are bad. One thing I do know is that there was a reason older Fisher's were under a lifetime warranty. They were built to last! Out of the 3 older Fisher's that I have owned, I have never had to repair anything. I know that I would place in the top 3 for those who spend the most time detecting, so my machines are well used. The jury's still out and I guess I'll read some more reviews and posts before I decide.
Thanks again everyone.
Dave.

OP
OP
D
One more thing. Over the years, I would always look on e-bay to see what Fishers were for sale. I would punch up "Fisher metal detector" and usually get 2 pages at most with a wide variety of new and old machines for sale. Now if you punch up the same key words, you get 4 pages of 90% being the new fishers and hardly any of the older machines. I don't know if there are more dealers selling now (6 months later) or every one is trying to get rid of their newly bought Fisher/Bounty Hunter made in China/Mexico. Generally the rule for e-bay is if you see many people selling a lot of the same thing, that means no body wants it ::)
Dave.

Willy

Given the economic climate, I wonder how many dealers are just trying to offload as much stock as possible before things start going down the toilet. Even for a dealer, detectors are expensive to buy and, let's say, you've got a mere 10 (some probably have considerably more), that's quite a lot of money tied up. Now, if the turnover rate tanks, and a person is sitting on all this 'getting older/outdated' stock and worrying that the latest and bestest detector will soon be superseded wellll.. ..Willy.

An Ri Rua

Apr 7, 2008
On da money
Detector(s) used
Mermet brass pendulum; Aqua Locator (antique), Luddite Skeptic detector
Hi,

I'm looking at a 1266 myself. Mid-90's with 8" and 10" coils. What kind of money would a decent one be asking?

Thanks guys. Great reading

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm an old time Fisher guy and I cant decide what my next machine is gonna be. IT WILL DRIVE YOU CRAZY TRYING TO DECIDE FROM FORUM POSTINGS!! There are many things to consider. If you are in the same boat as me, thinking about a new machine, take LuckyLarry's advice and try before you buy. There should be a good dealer near every big city. I think I'll take an hour's drive to my nearest dealer and do some hands on testing, see what the deal is with all the latest machines. What better way to decide?

If I had the money, I'd buy my top 3 choices. Maybe then I could get a good night's sleep.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
An Ri Rua, skypilot02 here! I've been able to find several 1266's on e-bay, two of which I purchased recently, new in the box, for between $325.00-$450.00, one had an eight inch coil, the other a ten inch coil, both spiders, both new old stock. I have had a 1266 for years and figured I'd get a second and third generation to go with my first. If there are no "sniper buyers" who drive the price up at the last instant, and you are truly vigilant, you can get a used one for a super deal. Simply be patient and bide your time! However, since you already have one in mind, maybe the above prices will help you with your decision. The coils usually go for around $50.00-125.00, depending on size and condition. If you've never owned a 1266, then be prepared for nail and small iron "chatter", (at higher power settings), but once you are accustomed to that, take a shovel for the deeeep goodies you are going to find! In East Tennessee the black dirt is usually in the hollers, (hollows between hills), and in those places I've found quarter sized coins 14+ inches deep! Not as a rule, mind you, or in the red clay, but still it does happen occasionally. Hope this helps! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread