Fisher CZ-7 coils

findstuf

Mar 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7
Is there an old thread or a write-up on the differences in coils for the Fisher CZ-7. Mine has a 8" coil, but I was wondering about the other options. What situations would you want a smaller or larger coil? Do you have to move slower with a smaller or larger coil? Is there a huge performance difference relative to coil size?

thanks ;D

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Findstuff, skypilot here. basically, smaller coils are WAAAAY better in trash and highly mineralized soil, due to the fact that they "see" less area compared to a larger coil, (kind of like low beam lights on a foggy night, the smaller coil will not "reflect" back to the machine the interference from trash and minerals, whereas the larger coil will be more prone to do so), and the depth loss is not as severe as you may imagine, in relation to size, because, if nothing else, the larger coil will by nature confuse the unit, while the smaller coil may not go as deep, it will be more accurate, in those conditions. An eight inch coil is a sort of compromise between depth and trash/mineral separation, while large coils are primarily used in places where objects will be deep, but not really close together. For instance: Parks, schoolyards, church and demolition lots, or where a structure has been razed, would be a great place for the smaller coil, while pastures, woods, less frequented areas (by modern folks), will be great for the larger coils. As for sweep speed, some units are adjustable for the user, while others are not, so experimentation is all one can go by. Hope this helps! Regards, Richard

OP
OP
F

findstuf

Mar 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7
Has anyone tried the 12.5" Sun Ray FZ-12 on a CZ-7?

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Findstuff, I haven't tried the Sunray 12.5" coil on my CZ's, but can say the 12" Fisher coil is dynamite in cow pastures! :thumbsup: And I am glad to help in any way I am able! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard

OP
OP
F

findstuf

Mar 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7
thanks,

I've had my cz-7 for 12 years and never thought twice about trying a different coil. Thinking back, having the other coils would of been great in certain situations.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
No problem, 'stuf! Glad to help! I hardly ever use anything over a 5" coil when I'm in any kind of trash! Give it a try, I believe you'll like what you find! Regards, Richard

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Findstuff, I use the 12.5" sunray coil on my CZ7. To my knowledge, they no longer make it (they said they had a hard time getting parts, so it wasn't worth it to keep making them). When I bought mine, it was one of the last ones sunray made, maybe THE last one, according to sunray. If you can hunt one down, it is worth doing. It is lighter than the fisher 12" coil and you'll want that for sure (the cz7 isn't a light detector anyway). I love it. I have found several deep coins with it. It really covers a lot of ground and if you're in relatively clean areas it is the cats' meow. The depth is killer (already killer with the 8" coil), but even more!

I also have a 5" sniper coil. This is almost a necessity for hunting trashy sites like old house teardowns, some construction sites, some park areas, etc... I usually start with my 8" and if the area sounds pretty clean, I put the 12.5 on. If it sounds trashy, I leave the 8" on, then go back over it with the 5". I just did that on a teardown site and picked up a few more wheats and a silver quarter that was missed or masked over with the 8" coil.

Hope that helps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread