Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer

findstuf

Mar 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7
sounds about right.... If you want to try out some other shapes, cut a piece of flashing into the shape of a triangle and bury it. Take your time sweeping across it along 360 degrees and you can tell it's a triangle by the location of the beeps.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's normal for a DD coil. You get a primary signal down the center where the two coils intersect and a "false" on either edge of the outside coil windings. Lift the coil 2" and it will disappear.

Knowing a few of the idiosyncrasies of the DD coil can come in handy. In this case you'd know to just flip the sod for a very shallow coin and be quickly on your way.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
It's sort of like a borderline overload situation. When the coil is very close to the coin & sensitivity is set at least fairly high, the detector has a hard time distinguishing between an accepted target & a rejected target.

It is actually possible a detector won't sound off on a surface coin if the coil is touching the ground & sensitivity is even at a moderate setting. This is why many mfrs suggest lower sensitivity settings than what seems to make sense, or they suggest hunting with the coil an inch or two above the ground.

If you run at least fairly high sensitivity with coil near ground, you will get those 2 or 3 sounds and a pinpointer will be helpful for finding the surface coin without spending much time to locate it. HH, George (MN)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
with high sen levels --as the coil "approaches" you get the outer edge hit --then the center or true signal--then the inner edge hit as the coil goes by on the way past it --the center beep is the target -- your most likely swinging way too fast in a effort to cover lots and lots of ground with your sen level way high up to get lots of "depth" as well . ---slow down a bit and ease off the sen level a bit -- lots of good signals are deeper give your machine a chance to honestly read the ground under the coil.

OP
OP
S

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
Thanks everyone, I tried lifting the coil and that worked. As I swung slower it

still double beeped but now I know why so it's no problem . Sensitivity didn't seem to change anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread