CZ6a and Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way it was explained to me - a battery is like a bucket. The voltage is a hole in the bottom, and is determined by the piece of electronics in which it is installed, not the battery's capacity. It draws what it draws regardless of the battery capacity. So, a 300 mAh battery will allow the voltage to flow twice as long as a 150 mAh battery in the same application.

The problem is a rechargable battery ends up being 1.2v for must of the discharge curve while an alkaline or lithium provides 1.5v (but has a much steeper curve). I believe that means some units work better on non-rechargable batteries when they are fresh. I don't know specifically in the case of the CZ-6A.

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
Charlie is right..

the only thing the millamp hour rating will tell you is (relatively speaking), how long the rechargable will last.
MOST machine have voltage regulators in them that regulate the voltage at a level less than the battery voltage, so the actual voltage of the batteries (1.5 volts of alkalines...and 1.2 for Nicads...and NMH batteries) wont matter much. What will happen however, is they deplete on different curves. Alkalines will 'taper off' much more gradually....while Nicads will last till nearly the very end and then go dead almost at once.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I think you need about 400 mAh to get the same running time as alkalines. I tried 270 mAh NiMH 9 volts in my high drain Chinese detector (lots of "bells and whistles") & they were dead in only 3 hours. With that particular detector's 35 mAh power usage, 400 mAh batteries might last 7 hours (long enough).

The only 400 mAh 9 volt rechargeables I have been able to find (on eBay) are Lithium ion & require a special charger. 2 of these batteries & the recharger is about $34 shipped. The recharge time is about 1 1/2 hours. HH, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread