Getting the best depth on the Fisher F70

Marlon Brando

Greenie
Oct 3, 2009
So I'm going back to hunt my grandparents old family farm where my dad grew up (over 100 years old) about 1000 miles from where I live now so I want to make sure I'm doing everything just right. I'm calling out to anyone that can help me with this. What are two seperate list of setting (unless one setting would work for both objectives) for both coin shooting and relic hunting in Wisconsin soil. Walking through the full list of settings (Sensitivity, Discrimation, Threshold, etc) could someone tell me what they would set their machine for for coin shooting and relic hunting. I've got permission to hunt this site one time and I want to make sure I know what to do when I get out there. Also, what settings would I adjust for varying depth? I've only been MD for about a month and I'm pretty excited about this! Anything will help, thank you!!!!

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"could someone tell me what they would set their machine for for coin shooting and relic hunting"

That's one of the nice things about the F70. You don't have endless programs to wade through and try and figure out which is best for a particular hunt. Let the detector and the site tell you how to setup. Clear the old setting when you turn on the machine. Turn the disc down to 6. Then increase the sens to about 75 then move the thres up until you find the point where the machine become unstable and back down. I like 2F. If you can get away with it your ideal setting is disc 0, sens 99, thres 9. Usually there is too much chatter but when you get a site that lets you crank it up you know that you wont miss anything no matter how small or deep. The coins ID consistent but for relics I dig everything that ID's over 20 and registers deeper than 3". Once you get the hang of it you will be able to run it with some chatter and you will still be able to hear the good hits but for starters its better to concentrate on the "hard" hits.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marlon Brando said:
So I'm going back to hunt my grandparents old family farm where my dad grew up (over 100 years old) about 1000 miles from where I live now so I want to make sure I'm doing everything just right. I'm calling out to anyone that can help me with this. What are two seperate list of setting (unless one setting would work for both objectives) for both coin shooting and relic hunting in Wisconsin soil. Walking through the full list of settings (Sensitivity, Discrimation, Threshold, etc) could someone tell me what they would set their machine for for coin shooting and relic hunting. I've got permission to hunt this site one time and I want to make sure I know what to do when I get out there. Also, what settings would I adjust for varying depth? I've only been MD for about a month and I'm pretty excited about this! Anything will help, thank you!!!!

In your case, I'd just stick to coins mode and leave it that. For information's sake, I've included a classic coin AND relic set up.

COINSHOOTING, Classic set up:
DISC: 15
SPEED: De (default)
SENS: 60-75 (60 is factory)
THRESH: -3 - +3 (-3 is factory)
# of TONES: 4H
NOTCH: N/A

As already suggested, start with factory settings. Depress the "Ground Grab" and "Menu" simultaneously, while turning on the detector. This will initiate the Factory settings. Then work the SENS and THRESH settings upward for depth.

Method ONE: Start with the SENS, bringing it up until you note a chirpy chattery response. STOP. Now back down 5-10 points.
Next, slowly bring up the THRESH until you get the chattering, then back down a poitn or two.

METHOD TWO: Leave SENS alone or even reduce it and wank on the THRESH, to the chatter point.

The F70 offers TWO gain features. SENS is for the receiver circuits and THRESH is for the signal itself, before it gets to the receiver. They work together, in a balance fashion, so this is not just a cut and dried adjustment.

But always start from the factory setup. If you get into trouble, or the thing goes wacky, go back to factory default.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELIC HUNTING, Classic set up:
DISC: 0
SPEED: SL (slow)
SENS: 60-75 (60 is factory)
THRESH: -3 - +3 (-3 is factory)
# of TONES: 2F
NOTCH: N/A

In relic hunting you want to accept the low range, since iron targets are welcome. I normally don't, except to determine if I'm on a site, when I listen for low iron tones. But once I find them, I up the DISC, and engage the 2F tones.
Since you know where the "relics" are already, you may not want to bother with this unless you like finding abundant nails, hardware and old wagon tackle. Choice is yours.

NOTE: In a congested site, (with a lot of targets) SL may hurt you. It is a slow response mode, intended for depth in clearer, open areas with few targets. If you have a lot of junk around, your detector will be going off like crazy. If that happens, you should go back to default speed.

KZ2088

Greenie
Jul 23, 2017
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about for large nugget hunting? I've studied just about every detector be under $1k and have decided on the F70/Patriot. I already have a F11 for the beach and what not, but I want to get the F70 to take out west. Large nuggets as in dime-size and larger.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
How about for large nugget hunting? I've studied just about every detector be under $1k and have decided on the F70/Patriot. I already have a F11 for the beach and what not, but I want to get the F70 to take out west. Large nuggets as in dime-size and larger.

You do know you resurrected a 9 year old thread to ask this question, right?
But that's ok.
If you start a new thread in this Fisher forum you will probably get more advice from experienced Fisher owners.

Be that as it may I have never hunted for nuggets but I have read a ton from guys that have done it.
From what I can gather is the best thing to do is hunt in all metal and using a DD sniper coil is highly recommended.

I have also read a lot written buy the guy that designed this thing among others.

Here is an essay he wrote with some basics...

Metal detecting technologies for gold prospecting

Here is a little book with a whole bunch more tidbits and advice if you skim through it.
Many pertain to setting up many top end Fisher models, not just the Goldbug, for gold nugget hunting.
One of the top two on this page...
Dave Johnson's Essays

The third one about the Goldbug might be helpful too but I have never downloaded or read that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread