TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Fisher F5 11DD coil much better then the 10" stock coil

Hi I don't have the F5 but reports I have seen state around a 1 1/2" to 2" depth gain with the DD coil. Of course another benefit of the DD is its well known excellent seperation in trash/iron.

HH Tom

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Fisher F5 11DD coil much better then the 10" stock coil

Depends on your soil. Minelabs use DD coils because Australia is high in Magnetite in the soil. So if you have a high iron soil a DD coil of similar size to a concetric would allow you better depth (ceteris paribus - all else being equal). Also in trashy spots a DD can be used to better effective depth than a concentric because it scans a area long but narrow. (c.p.)

To open the worm can - a good concentric is probably deeper than a DD of similar size and is easier to pinpoint with. But that added depth is only in the small center "sweet-spot" of about 2" diameter. The DD is deeper at the toe and heel than a concentric, so you don't need as much overlap to be successful. I like DD coils and once you learn their quirks they are handy critters. The 1" difference has little to add compared to the other advantages/disadvantages. Don't run out to buy an 11"DD coil if you have a 10" concentric (IMHO). Get a 6" sniping coil with the $ and you'll have a great junk area head for more flexibility.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread