CZ-20 ... CZ-21 ... What were the improvements?

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What is the difference between the CZ-20 and the CZ-21 ... Any improvements?

Have they fixed the leaky faceplate problems yet ?

I have heard that the new CZ-21 is a dual frequency machine ... is that true?
If so it should have improved performance in saltwater.

Willee

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Same machine, different pinpoint button. Simple tap-on/tap off VCO PP.

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
Willee said:
What is the difference between the CZ-20 and the CZ-21 ... Any improvements?

Have they fixed the leaky faceplate problems yet ?

I have heard that the new CZ-21 is a dual frequency machine ... is that true?
If so it should have improved performance in saltwater.

Willee
the old CZ 20 is also a dual freq machine. The major difference with the two machines is the tap on pinpoint button......Vs the rubber capped switch. My 21 seems a bit hotter in smaller gold too.......but not sure if thats an across the board improvement.
wasnt aware they had a "problem" with leaky faceplates. I had my CZ20 for YEARS with no leakage and no problems.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Streak, heard that some of the units would break the boss for the faceplate or housing screws and then become leaky. My CZ-20 was fine until after I got it back from FT, then the screw broke and now it rattles.

For the treatment I got from them, I would not send it back to have them change the batteries.

Especially after asking them if they had torque measurements on the housings and it seemed to leave them speechless. No answer.

So it's a rattler, but it still works fine so it's here until it goes bad, then unfortunately it goes in the heap since there may be no where else to send it to. Then I'll probably be off to a Minelab water machine or Tesoro.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
original cz20 was dual freq.
original cz20s had some leaking problems at the pinpoint button and led lights.
new cz21s are redesigned and do not have these problems.
my old used cz20 works great and has never leaked!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both the CZ-20 and 21 operate the same way as a two freq. The only changes are a redesigned battery door and pinpoint button. Also lack of lifetime warranty. If my 20 ever goes bad I won't send it in to the butchers to change it into a 21 at the cost of a new detector. I just don't over tighten the battery door and use lots or silicone grease on the gasket.

As for the pinpoint button on the CZ-20 leaking, I coated mine with Silicone Sealant (bathtub caulk) an I never need to use the pinpoint button anyway. :thumbsup:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher needed to upgrade the CZ-20 because of the bad rap they were suddenly getting because of a batch of bad battery doors that would easily fracture at the sprue when the door was tightened. The cracks were very small, usually invisible to the naked eye and most users thought the problem was with thier unit's door seal, as a result they would try to tighten the door even tighter which allowed the tiny cracks to open up even more. The only other change was in the pinpoint button as already noted. Basically, the two machines are one in the same with just a few "quality" improvements. I only know this because I jumped into the ocean with my CZ-20 and forgot to screw the battery door down, so I had to send the unit in and Fisher replaced and repaired the damaged parts quickly and at no cost, but I ended up with one of the bad battery doors in the process so I had to send it back a second time, and again they went over the machine a second time at no cost and I got it back in under 20 days turnaround and it's been perfect ever since.

And by the way, if you registerd your CZ-20 with Fisher when you bought it they may still honor the lifetime warranty. They did mine both times and that was only about four or five years ago, but I still had my original registration information. It's certainly worth looking into.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread