Best setting F75 LTD For Deep Coins

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
idandigit said:
What setting do you like best for deep coins,Thanks.....Dan
thats a difficult question to answer. WAY too many variables.
I hunt a few very old colonial sites that give up a number of older coins, like State coppers. I dig a number of them at extreme depths, but I run my LTD wide open, and dig everything. some of those deep coins are a surprise, due to partial masking, depth, and mineralization due to fertilizer. If you want coins with good identifications............. you'll probably not be digging them as deep as I do. Also, since I know nothing about your soil conditions, it very hard to give any meaningful advice.
I try to run as hot as I can...............or at least as hot as conditions will allow. I tend to start VERY hot, (sens at max..BP mode and 0 disc) and detune as necessary. I also tend to decrease sensitivity BEFORE I'll add discrimination. it important to maintain an accurate ground balance as well for max depth and performance, so I'll Fast grab often. I primarily use disc mode......but will use AM (you have to choose AM from a boost mode to have "boost" in all metal) if the soil is hot (read: mineralized).
Be advised however....that depth is not the ultimate performance parameter. Separation/iron see tru is!
I hear guys saying how when their fields get plowed, it "bring targets up" so they can detect them. While this "may" be the case occasionally, it much more probable that a masking target was moved (as it relates to a good target), and thus made the target "detectable". a lot of guys dont realize just how severe a problem masking can be, how how effectively it "hides" targets from us. My one colonial site produces year after year after year, due to the plow mixing things up for me.
Take a simple tiny staple (like the one you might staple two pieces of paper together) and tape it to the lid of a small tupperware bowl. Take a two piece cuff botton and tape it to the bottom of the bowl. invert the bowl and try to detect the button. You'll get it fine. turn the bowl rightside up, (with that tiny staple between the button and the coil) and then try to detect it again. it will be gone! thats just one tiny staple! imagine what a bigger piece of iron will do! Anyway.........................if you can tell us what kind of conditions you hunt in....maybe someone here can give you a better answer.

OP
OP
I

idandigit

Greenie
Oct 18, 2009
Thanks for the info Streak.........I like to run it hot also... with high sensitivity....The larger picture may be as you said.......masking.........Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread