CZ-5 pros & cons

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: CZ-5 pro's & cons

I use an older CZ-6 which I think is similar. It works well for coins and jewelery but it is hot on nails.
It has good depth especially if you select the optional 10" coil. There was an article that someone once wrote (I believe it was published in W&E Treasures) as to how different sizes and karat weights of rings read on the meter.
I was a very good article.
I don't think you would do wrong going with Fisher. They have always had a good reputation for quality detectors and service.

OP
OP
T

TREETOPPER

Hey BK,

Thanks for the reply.

I am just finding out that it has been discontinued and now thinking about the CZ-3d unless of coarse i can find a good used CZ-5 somewhere.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Don't know anything about the CZ-3D, but Fisher is a reputable manufacturer and has a history of producing good reliable detectors.
Good luck with your purchase. Let us know how you like it.

OP
OP
T

TREETOPPER

Hey ya all,
Thanks for the feed back, I decided to print up the manual for the CZ-3d and what a suprise.Very simple to follow and comprehend, this looks like a winner. This was not the first manual that i have looked thru, i printed up all Md manuals with the same price range and similar capabilities. This was by far the easiest manual to follow for me bar none. This will be my very first Md ever that i have owned and used.
If their is any one out their that has some knowledge of it's prospecting capabilities please tell me. Thanks again and happy huntin.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

I run a CZ-5 and it is simple to follow the instructions and learn quickly, in my experience. I hope the 3d is the same, ought to be coming from Fisher. Good machines.

Only con I can think of is, as posted earlier, it is hot on nails. But you can figure it out soon enough after digging a few. Sound is a little different, and switching to all metal and sweeping both ways, you will get a longer beep, or a double beep from them. (each end sounds off) so nails are really not TOO much problem. You'll still dig a few anyways, just the nature of the beast with all detectors, none are foolproof!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

I also run a CZ5 and I think it is great.Yes on the nails,but I'm fairly new to it and it didn't take me long to identify the majority of them.I understand that the CZ3 is considered just as hot.You may want to call all the dealers,smaller local ones,to see if they still have a 5.That's how I got mine.Don't think you'll go wrong on either one.

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CZ5,

It is a good coin machine. It has problems with the ID (tone and meter) for deep iron but you will get used to it once you learn the machine. I knew a guy who used one for relic hunting but I always killed hime with my Whites in the trash and tough soil.

It is a rock solid machine that can really grab coins. I think the best place to use it is in a park.

Arch

khouse

Dec 6, 2006

The cz5 is a solid work horse. The cz3 looks like the same unit with maybe some internal tweeks. Yes on the deep rusty iron stuff. But very hot on nickles! I don't think I have ever had a machine so accurate on the ID of nickles. Also it's very good on salt beaches. I took it to the Bahamah's about 5 years ago and found 2 silver rings. I'm talking out in the water about 2 feet! I had no falsing problems. I've seen some used for 275 to 325. Good luck.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

archmjr said:
CZ5,

It is a good coin machine. It has problems with the ID (tone and meter) for deep iron but you will get used to it once you learn the machine. I knew a guy who used one for relic hunting but I always killed hime with my Whites in the trash and tough soil.

It is a rock solid machine that can really grab coins. I think the best place to use it is in a park.

Arch

Yep. Fisher detectors can be a little frustrating in trashy areas. I used to skunk my diggin buddy every time at relic sites though(he has a White's XLT). Then he got wise and purchased a 1280-X. So now he's got me on my toes!!

Cheers,

Buckleboy

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deepest machine that I have ever used but LOVES old iron. I have dug 14 inches for old nails but I have also dug Deep for old coins. My take is it is very good for old sites . It ios also almos indestructable!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions