Fisher F70 vs F75 What is the Diff?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F75 has back light. More programs and Better stock DD coil. Holler if I can help more!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
CoilFisher said:
What is the real difference between these?
Man the specs are too complicated for me to take in.

Several hundred dollars and most likely a few inches in depth, site dependent of course. If your budget allows, go bigger and don't look back. If not, the F70 is an awesome good machine to break yourself in with. I've had some great returns from mine.

Neither machine requires a lot of setup or menu chasing by way of comparison to other brands.

OP
OP
CoilFisher

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually skimmed the manuals on these.

Depth of objects was listed at the same.

I read a post that said the f-70 will not give a DIGITAL reading past 8 inches, other than that I cannot find a difference, other than maybe program options?

I also notice there is like a pound difference in weight, but they both look like the same machine. What can that be? Or is that because the coil was different on the F-70 at first?

Unless I am reading the manual wrong it looks like the F-70 is like a digitized CZ-3D?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
I've had trouble with finding any coins beyond 8" with my F70. Not sure what the digital reading limitations means. Does that mean I should dig every deep beep that reads over 8", w/o regard to target ID? Not happening. If that equaled more coinage or relics even at standard trash-to-good-target ratios then I'd definitely be using my CZ's instead.

AT mode and tones? Hasn't worked for me either. But I've seen a few F75's out there and they did get targets deeper. Targets I could not see with the F70. It was not a case of masking or target separation, just depth capability.

Same goes with ETracs. They can find some targets I cannot.

As to the F70 being a digitized CZ3D, no. It is much more like a C$ with a DD coil if you go by the available setup and operational characteristics. Although most would argue, and I'd agree, both the C$ and CZ3D are deeper. But the F70 has better target separation and with it's iron range has some great applications in rural settings and trashy parks alike.

All that said I am one satisfied F70 owner. Some areas do make the rig chatter with the 11" DD coil on it, that thing is after all a bigger antenna than the smaller coil. But those areas are the exception, not the rule. From what I read, the AT Pro is the only competition in it's price range, but again that's what I read. Haven't seen an AT Pro in action around here yet.

Looking forward to hunting with someone with an AT Pro to see how they stack up against each other.

OP
OP
CoilFisher

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I gathered from the posts, it will find things deeper than 8" (like the CZ's meter that went to 8") but the digital readout of depth (Depth Reading) maxes out at 8" on the F-70.
That is what I meant. Whereas, the F-75 gives much deeper digital readouts on depth (Depth in inches).
So, yeah...if it is banging a good VDI at 8" and I cannot find it at 8" I am going to dig down further.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
My F70 often reads targets at 10-11 inches, until they are centered under the coil. This is especially true for small targets at intermediate depth, which I consider to be 5-8 inches.

I dug a 1910 wheatie Sunday under a tree root, 4" deep tops, it read 6-7" but was most likely at a steep angle as the target ID was not accurate, it was reading up in the silver dime range. One of my fellow MD'ers also read it about that deep with his V3 and also thought it might be a dime.

Nearby I got a nice 1917S dime at 5" that read dead on and a 1920 wheatie at 5" that read dead on.

Nearly the same thing happened Saturday with a counterstamped 1888 IH and an 1897 dime close by each other at the same depth reading dead on while the 1891 IH a few feet away read off as a quarter at 6" at first. The former two being at 5" and flat in dirt, the latter being on edge in gravel and only 4" deep.

But yeah, the depth reading will go to 10" plus on a F70 though I've only ever pulled one coin from 10" with it, a toasted wheatie sometime last year.

Attachments

• 91011.JPG
    91011.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 777
OP
OP
CoilFisher

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx LowBatts. Appreciate the info.

How is the control housing on that F-70? Is the plastic thin? I remember reading something about the lower end F-# units the plastic was thinner or something if I am correct?
Though, I doubt that is the case with that one.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
On a good day I'm a fairly clumsy maroon and I change the coils frequently.

The machine is still holding together very well, no complaints, gaps or cracks anywhere.

I beat stubble, hit trees and fall down. I lean the machine up against trees where it will slide down and hit the ground seemingly deliberately, but actually out of failure of attention.

It's tougher than it feels, looks, or is considered IMHO.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
I've had trouble with finding any coins beyond 8" with my F70. Not sure what the digital reading limitations means. Does that mean I should dig every deep beep that reads over 8", w/o regard to target ID? Not happening. If that equaled more coinage or relics even at standard trash-to-good-target ratios then I'd definitely be using my CZ's instead.

AT mode and tones? Hasn't worked for me either. But I've seen a few F75's out there and they did get targets deeper. Targets I could not see with the F70. It was not a case of masking or target separation, just depth capability.

Same goes with ETracs. They can find some targets I cannot.

As to the F70 being a digitized CZ3D, no. It is much more like a C$ with a DD coil if you go by the available setup and operational characteristics. Although most would argue, and I'd agree, both the C$ and CZ3D are deeper. But the F70 has better target separation and with it's iron range has some great applications in rural settings and trashy parks alike.

All that said I am one satisfied F70 owner. Some areas do make the rig chatter with the 11" DD coil on it, that thing is after all a bigger antenna than the smaller coil. But those areas are the exception, not the rule. From what I read, the AT Pro is the only competition in it's price range, but again that's what I read. Haven't seen an AT Pro in action around here yet.

Looking forward to hunting with someone with an AT Pro to see how they stack up against each other.

Great write-up lowbatts :thumbsup: I too have the CZ-3D. Mine is the older 1021 model & I absolutely LOVE it. Hands down, best (and deepest) detector I ever owned. B-U-T, I wouldn't recommend it for moderately trashy places on up. No trash or minor trash or iron, fine. But anything more than that & ones trash to good targets ratio will be through the roof. It ADORES junk - especially deep junk and/or iron. All Fishers tend to love the deeper junk, but, it's MUCH more pronounced with the 3D for some reason. Not a good 'trash site' machine. Unless of course one wants to slow waaaaaaaaaaaay down and dig tons of marginal signals. If I wanted to move like a turtle, I'd go with the Explorers or e-tracs. Plus the Minelabs have the DD coils too - which the 3D's do not. Sooooooo...

Might be picking up a T2 or F75 for those troublesome trashy places. DD coils & MUCH faster processors :laughing7: Just curious though as to why you went with the T2 over the F75 with the boost process?

OP
OP
CoilFisher

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL sorry for the confusion Lowbatts I got that info from your post as follows:

Re: f70 any down side?
Reply To This Topic #2 Posted May 02, 2011, 01:47:31 PM
I really like mine. My only complaint is it has about an 8" depth cutoff. I mean it has a door slammed at that depth. I've used it side by side with my CZ's and with other guys who are using ETracs, Whites, etc. and have been tuned out of targets that were within the ranges of those other rigs.
I've kept it running full on all out for the most part, and it ID's great to that magic door. After that, it usually won't even see a target settings be damned. The exception being the lowly beer can or large iron fixture.
I have not tried the bigger or smaller elliptical coils. I use the 5" DD and the stock 11" DD. Depth for both of these coils seems fairly close as I've dug many 7" targets with the small coil including small targets.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Yep, it will show depth readings beyond 8" but so far I haven't found anything coin-ish beyond 8".

The flip side of that is I can hunt a lot of sites with targets in that intermediate range and still find goodies that the last couple generations of detectors have missed. And there's a LOT of good targets in that equation.

Hey Digger, saving my pennies still for the next leap up, that's all. Haven't got a T2 or an F75. Getting anything approved through the Kitchen Funding Committee is like trying to make rocks bleed.

Lil' Lowbatts is still in school. Dang lawyer wannabe.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Lil' Lowbatts is still in school. Dang lawyer wannabe.

Well god bless him :thumbsup: My father always used to tell me when I was younger; "Become a lawyer and the heaviest thing you'll ever have to pick-up is a pencil". Unfortunately, I never took his advice. It was sooooooooo 'uncool' to be good in school. So, sounds like he's on the right track :headbang:

As far as the 'Kitchen Committee' is concerned, I know EXACTLY what you mean. They're ALL the same my friend :BangHead: :spam4: But, when it comes to them spending hundreds of dollars for shoes, handbags, etc., that's quite all right :laughing7: :help: They cannot and never will understand this 'addiction' :dontknow:

Good luck with the clad. Here's a tip too...

Keep a keen eye toward your local salvation army or pawn shops. They frequently have nice detectors for sale. Might want to call some of the pawn places online in other parts of the country - they can ship to you :wink:

pinpointer999

Aug 22, 2015
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd.
Fisher CZ21
Fisher CZ6a
Makro CF77
Minelab Musketeer XS
Whites DFX
Whites MX5
Whites IDX Pro (Mr. Bill mod.)
White's 5900/di Pro Plus (Keith Southern mod)
White's 6000/di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL sorry for the confusion Lowbatts I got that info from your post as follows:

Re: f70 any down side?
Reply To This Topic #2 Posted May 02, 2011, 01:47:31 PM
I really like mine. My only complaint is it has about an 8" depth cutoff. I mean it has a door slammed at that depth. I've used it side by side with my CZ's and with other guys who are using ETracs, Whites, etc. and have been tuned out of targets that were within the ranges of those other rigs.
I've kept it running full on all out for the most part, and it ID's great to that magic door. After that, it usually won't even see a target settings be damned. The exception being the lowly beer can or large iron fixture.
I have not tried the bigger or smaller elliptical coils. I use the 5" DD and the stock 11" DD. Depth for both of these coils seems fairly close as I've dug many 7" targets with the small coil including small targets.

Just a quick pointer concerning the DD vs concentric ellipticals with the F70/F75... both of the the DD coils were rusty bottlecap magnets. They were ringing in anywhere from 68-82 and driving me nuts, appearing as good coin targets. I was literally digging hundreds of bottlecaps a week. I read in the forums about the solution, which is to use concentric coils to correct this false high readings and place the bottlecaps into the lower VDI disc. range. I had tried using the BC(bottle cap) setting on the F75, but it was pretty much useless to me. The concentrics definitely do the trick and I only occasioanlly dig a bottlecap now.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Just a quick pointer concerning the DD vs concentric ellipticals with the F70/F75... both of the the DD coils were rusty bottlecap magnets. They were ringing in anywhere from 68-82 and driving me nuts, appearing as good coin targets. I was literally digging hundreds of bottlecaps a week. I read in the forums about the solution, which is to use concentric coils to correct this false high readings and place the bottlecaps into the lower VDI disc. range. I had tried using the BC(bottle cap) setting on the F75, but it was pretty much useless to me. The concentrics definitely do the trick and I only occasioanlly dig a bottlecap now.

Concentrics are great but when using DD coils just use the rimming technique and you can ID and identify 95% or more of these things easily.
I used to hate hunting pop top infested sites with DD coils but no more.

I realize this is an old thread but just for the record using my F70 in good soil I can easily get screen ID's on targets at the 8-9" area, audio on 10" or more using the standard coil.
Mount the F75 big DD coil and I have gotten audio AND screen ID's from 12-15".

Last edited:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure of this 8" depth question? The common depth standards for most detectors is 8" for most accurate targeting beyond that depth it gets iffy. I prefer the F70 to the 75 simply for the menu and layout. I don't like the handle. I think the handle needs to be cut down about two or three inches to prevent me from knocking my on/off volume knob on everything. Other than that I think its a great machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread