gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Select desired sens. Go to autotune. Bob coil off the ground 10" and back to the ground and up 10" and down, up and down, all the while turning the gb nob up or down to achieve the very least amount of audio change. This takes three seconds and is the only way to go in my book. Try it, you will see what I mean. Keppy, congrats on the cz.....Oh, by the way, if you change your sens, you gotta do it all over again. Do it often anyways just to be sure. I would not think setting at 5 would be too far off in the fresh water, but it is so simple to do once you get the hang of it. You will see.

It is exactly like bobbing on the atpro for auto gb, hold button and bob, except you dont have to adjust a knob on the pro, the machine finds the adjustment automatically.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Keppy it is easy to set GB like Gleaner1 says. I don't use the pinpoint button and just use Autotune while bobbing. Some times I set the GB slightly positive which is something you can't do with the AT Pro when you use the auto tune feature. I don't trust machines to do my adjustments as I don't know how stupid they are.

Fisher used to advertise the 1280 as having auto ground balance when in fact it was just set at the factory.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman & Gleaner......... A lady who has lost her husband has the CZ-21 for sale ...... I did not get it yet but am playing around with it ................ But thanks for your replys it has helped me under stand the CZ-21 better.................... Now if we can come to a price we both like................I am to see the detector again this weekend..........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck Keppy.....You'd really like the CZ-21. Use the hip mount clip and hang it from a strap from your neck to take the weight off the arm and save water resistance too while sweeping. Only tighten the battery door finger tight or you could pull the female ends out of the box. PM me if you have any questions. :hello:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy what coil size is it? You will probably want the 10 if you are looking for a water machine. If it's an 8 get it anyway if the price is right. You might find it being your preferred land machine in a fortnight.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So it is a good land detectror also...........

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Good Luck Keppy.....You'd really like the CZ-21. Use the hip mount clip and hang it from a strap from your neck to take the weight off the arm and save water resistance too while sweeping. Only tighten the battery door finger tight or you could pull the female ends out of the box. PM me if you have any questions. :hello:

Sandman if you auto gb with the pro, it homes in quick, two or three bobs, maybe four. If it balances at say 85, you just manually bring the number up or down as desired by pushing the gb adjust button and + or - to go off the true gb number. It's a snap. I could never decide which way to go, up or down, from true gb to minimize iron effects, so I usually run at true. I still do not know which way to go. :icon_scratch:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy said:
So it is a good land detectror also...........

Keppy it is more than a good land machine. It's basically a cz series in a waterproof package. That says it all. Plus don't forget it is a dual frequency machine, which is icing on the cake. If you want a cz21 for water, that is great but it might just become one of your favorite land machines. I like it because when you hip mount the box, it becomes the lightest rig you can possibly find. And it's hotter than hell on deep silver and copper stuff. And nails. But you will get used to that after a while.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
Sandman said:

Sandman if you auto gb with the pro, it homes in quick, two or three bobs, maybe four. If it balances at say 85, you just manually bring the number up or down as desired by pushing the gb adjust button and + or - to go off the true gb number. It's a snap. I could never decide which way to go, up or down, from true gb to minimize iron effects, so I usually run at true. I still do not know which way to go. :icon_scratch:
Heck I am to the point in life where I back out of the drive way and forgot where I wanted to go. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A few months back i was going to get a Whites Beach Hunter 300 ...... But then the seller backed down at the last minute,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Is there a differance between the 300 & the CZ ? I seem to be leaning towards the CZ............

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy,
I used my CZ-20 as a ground machine for several years, even though I had other machines. I still think it's the best all-around water/land machine out there. :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Keppy there is a lot of difference. I had one with the original coil and sold it. A couple years later I got silly again and bought another one with the 12" coil. I hated that thing the first time I took it in the water because the coil floated like a cork. You'd let go of it and the coil floated on the surface. it was to much work holding it down and I did't want to add a sand filled sock as that would add water resistance. White's bought it back from me. None of the other detector's coils float and White's must figular nobody goes in the water. I thought the CZ20 was deeper and I worried about leaks with the Beachhunter, but think the others that had this problem just didn't take care of the O ring.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now Sandman, Gleaner & Bigscoop..... I guess you have me convinced on the CZ-21 if the lady and i can work out a price............... And your thoughts were so strong on it that if that one does not work out i will still look for a 20 or 21..............

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never use the pinpoint on my CZ-20 and have read of leaks because of the rubber covering the button that I smeared silicone sealant over the pinpoint button just to be safe.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I found this post. My CZ-21 arrives this Saturday and will use your tips for ground balancing. Hitting the beach on Father's Day and will report back with finds (I hope). Curious to know if you gents prefer hunting wet sand or in the water? Where do you find your best stuff? Which do you find is more enjoyable, regardless of finds? A big part of what I love about this hobby is just getting out there searching.

Keppy, this thread is a few months old now. Did you get the detector?

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad I found this post. My CZ-21 arrives this Saturday and will use your tips for ground balancing. Hitting the beach on Father's Day and will report back with finds (I hope). Curious to know if you gents prefer hunting wet sand or in the water? Where do you find your best stuff? Which do you find is more enjoyable, regardless of finds? A big part of what I love about this hobby is just getting out there searching.

Keppy, this thread is a few months old now. Did you get the detector?
No i only hunt fresh water and have a AT Pro....But i still look at them .... If i find a used one for a good price i will jump on it..... I did find a nice one i was going to buy but the seller changed there mind...... I keep watching for them.....

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I put detector on autotone, set sensitivity to 3, and just bobbed up and down. No matter what ground balance setting was on I heard nothing. Could it be my backyard is free from mineralization? The detector seemed to hit the targets just fine. Really good actually. Real test will be Sunday at the beach. Thx.

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So... Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I put detector on autotone, set sensitivity to 3

Gran...setting sensitivity to 3 is your problem. When ground balancing in auto tune, you have to set the sensitivity to 10, so you hear the threshold warble. Then bob the coil up and down, moderately, from 2 inches to about 12 inches off the ground, and turn the ground balance until the threshold sound is stable ( that is, not getting louder when the coil moves towards the ground, not getting louder when the coil moves away from the ground....stable meaning the threshold sound pretty much stays the same when bobbing).

Your problem is the sensitivity setting is too low, hence you cannot hear the threshold sound when trying to ground balance.

Just make sure when you are done ground balancing, to turn the sensitivity down into the 3-4 range if running in discriminate mode. If you run in auto tune, you can keep the sensitivity at 10 or 9...just high enough to hear the threshold sound.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha. I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread