Is the Fisher F2 metal detector any good?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best entry level machine on the market!

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned one for several years and it's an excellent machine. It can go toe to toe with machines twice it's price.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
It's the best detector on the market (with) a TID screen at or near $200. The Tesoro Silver uMax has a (tiny) bit more depth when coil sizes are equal and even goes 1/2" deeper with a monster coil as an accessory, but it doesn't have all the toys like the F2. The pair makes a good combo and the uMax can be modified to go even deeper. The F2 works a bit better on salt beaches, AND in your Idaho high-magnetite soil.

LL

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F2 is always my choice in the lower end price bracket providing both performance and good general design (balance/accurate pinpointing/target resolution etc).

kascinoh

Greenie
Jul 14, 2008
Bellbrook, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Tek Omega, Fisher F70, Fisher F2, Tesoro Silver uMax, C&G Wildcat
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the F2 for a couple years before upgrading to the F70. Fast (very), lightweight, respectable depth, good TID, good battery life w/headphones.. I had the 8 and 10" concentric coils, and had a blast with it - now, I see they offer the 11"DD on the F2...hard to beat this machine for the price.

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
I think the F2 is one of the most under-rated units out there for the money. It has many features to grow into and yet is easy to use out of the box. Can't go wrong with this unit!

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's good for someone just starting out. Being an experienced detectorist I didn't care for it. It really is cheaply made and doesn't go very deep but I think it offers enough to get a beginner hooked for life.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinstriking Michigan said:
I think it's good for someone just starting out. Being an experienced detectorist I didn't care for it. It really is cheaply made and doesn't go very deep but I think it offers enough to get a beginner hooked for life.

True statement (although I don't agree about it being cheaply made). It is a very nice beginner's detector that offers a great "tease" of what is available. If I had to choose between the "beginner" machines out there, this would be my #1 choice. Since I do fields and woods hunting, this machine just doesn't go deep enough for what I need it to do and I "outgrew" this machine in only 1 month of use.

spud

Mar 1, 2012
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ford--chevy---each one will tell you that thier machine is the best----what ever works for you!! in my driveway sits a ford ranger,chevy s10 and a caddy ---they all take me where i want to go!!

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fisher F-2 is a very good starter detector. No dought about it.
It will hold its own , compared to anything in the price range. Take a look at the combo if you interested in the f-2.
we sell the 2 coil combo & pinpointer at a 3 to 1 rate because it has the best deal..
Cheap made?Theirs no way .Its not a $500.00 ,So you cant compare, but made as a entry level and very easy to operate.
All manufactor has a entry level to keep the cost down for a beginner ,That way a beginner wont have to pay $500.00 for it when they dont know if they even like doing it .
The very first time i went metal detecting i borrowed one from my brother. ,cause i could not afford one, it was a from Radio Shack,... the reciever was a 9v transitor radio (maybe this was a cheap detector who knows ) with about 6 inch coil. I found eight artillery shells in one hole, they were 3 ft deep . I ended up selling all of them and buying a Fisher 553.
I think what im trying to say dont let the entry level fool you they are very good machines. You can always sell what you find to upgrade.

mfc83

Feb 27, 2010
MILLSBORO,DE
Detector(s) used
FISHER 1280X ,FISHER F2,BOUNTY HUNTER IV , TESORO CUTLASS UMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i went from a bounty hunter to the f2 like it alot but looking to get the 1280x my dad tried mine he bought one my uncle tried mine he bought one and two more freinds tried it they bought one out of all 5 i hear no complaints . i think after 5 fisher should cut me a break on the 1280x huh ... its lite just learn the sounds take your time it will produce for you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread