Has anyone used or is using the Fisher 15" DD coil???

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone used or is using the Fisher 15" DD coil???

I recently ordered the Fisher 15" DD coil and am looking for a little feedback on its' performance with the Standard F75. Honestly, I have been quite happy wih the 11" DD that came on the machine.......if it is any better that that one, I'll be real happy! I also ordered the Bluetooth dongle and headphone receiver hoping that it will set me from from "the cord!" I'll post back on the results of both.

Edit/Update: The coil arrived today and I just had to take it for a spin. The first thing I noticed is that it is HUGE! I didn't realize what a big difference there would be between the 11" oval DD and this round 15" DD (BTW, this is NOT an SEF coil, although it was touted as such on one of the ads I looked at). Didn't have much time to give it a good work out, but, it did work well for what I hit, recovery is still very quick and I now have the ability to cover a much larger area. One caveat to the ability to cover a larger area is that the coil is considerably heavier than the 11" and with my arthritic elbow, I have to go slower.....which is probably good anyway! I dug two dimes at 7" and 9" and a number of zincolns with the deepest about 6". I'll need a better place to really test the depth capabilities in the ground.....and air test didn't seem to be much better than with the 11". If considering one, just remember, this baby is considerably heavier than the 11" DD oval!!

Dongle is here, waiting on the Bluetooth headphones.....maybe tomorrow. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Has anyone used or is using the Fisher 15" DD coil???

Well, the coil got here a day early and I have had a chance to try it out. As I have the standard F75, I think the full potential of this coil would be had with the LTD version using "Boost/Cache", or whatever the new feature is.

One thing for sure, it is a LOT larger than the 11" DD that comes with the detector, this sucker looks like a garbage can lid! It is going to take some getting used to and I think the coil will be best when detecting a large area with little trash. The depth and sensitivity seem to be there. The only problem for me is the weight....my old arthritic elbow can really feel the difference! On a good note, the additional weight makes one move slower and less likely to miss a small target (yeah, yeah....you can move slowly with the 11" also, but, this one kinda forces you to slow down).

Since it looks like I am the first one to try this thing, I'll report back after I have had more opportunity to check it in the field.

As a side note.....the Bluetooth Tx dongle and Bluetooth behind the neck headphones are wonderful! No more cord to mess with and get in the way and the headset is so light and comfortable, it would be easy to forget you have it on! (more on this in the Metal Locating forum)

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Have now used the coil on three hunts. The pro's would be the large area that it covers and it seems to be less sensitive to influence of large iron close to a good target (doesn't seem logical, but...???). The "sweet spot" is just in front of where the shaft attaches and it is very good a pinpointing a target without using the pinpoint feature, depth can be well estimated by signal intensity. The biggest con to me is the expense.....$250 kinda hurts, but, if it gives the extra depth it claims, it could be worth it. So far, the deepest thing I have found would be a zincoln at about 6" - 7". Is it missing deeper targets or have I just not been over any? :dontknow: The other con (for me) would be weight, it is considerably heavier than the stock 11" DD and swinging all day takes its' toll.

If anyone else has one or gets one, I would love to hear your opinions.....

qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the update! I really like how light the F75LTD is, but might look into that coil for future relic hunting.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

qkslvr said:
Thanks for the update! I really like how light the F75LTD is, but might look into that coil for future relic hunting.

The 15" DD is, indeed, a relic coil. I talked to Kellyco and Fisher because I was feeling a tad disappointed in the performance, especially depth. It turns out that the coil works better with the LTD machine in Boost mode and in areas with little trash while seeking relics. The real benefit of this coil is deep seeking large relics or caches. If looking for smaller objects and/or in trashy areas, the 11" DD will perform just as well or better. I'll be keeping this coil, but, will reserve its' use for searching remote areas that haven't been infested with pull tabs.....right off hand, I don't know where that will be, :dontknow:. I would like to see how it does with the Boost mode on the LTD. If you get one, post back and let me know.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hay,

Roland 58, I'm happy for you on the coil ,one question did you ever dig a zincon at that dept with the smaller coil.and the dimes if not I would say h#ll yea it gave you more dept.. I love it.
keep at it...

........................................................................................liftloop............................................

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

liftloop said:
hay,

Roland 58, I'm happy for you on the coil ,one question did you ever dig a zincon at that dept with the smaller coil.and the dimes if not I would say h#ll yea it gave you more dept.. I love it.
keep at it...
........................................................................................liftloop............................................

LL, yeah, I have. In fact, I have dug a 9" dime and a 12" quarter with my 11" DD that came with the F75. In both cases they were giving good signals, however, they were away from any trash, which could have made some difference. That big butt coil is good, but, like I said, I'm going to reserve it for hunting large clean areas (if I ever find one)....I think that is where it will shine. I keep it in my truck for just that occassion. Keep in mind, it is a heavy sombeechy!

Apr 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15" DD Fisher coil

Have now used the coil on three hunts. The pro's would be the large area that it covers and it seems to be less sensitive to influence of large iron close to a good target (doesn't seem logical, but...???). The "sweet spot" is just in front of where the shaft attaches and it is very good a pinpointing a target without using the pinpoint feature, depth can be well estimated by signal intensity. The biggest con to me is the expense.....$250 kinda hurts, but, if it gives the extra depth it claims, it could be worth it. So far, the deepest thing I have found would be a zincoln at about 6" - 7". Is it missing deeper targets or have I just not been over any? :dontknow: The other con (for me) would be weight, it is considerably heavier than the stock 11" DD and swinging all day takes its' toll.

If anyone else has one or gets one, I would love to hear your opinions.....

The 15" DD Fisher coil can be purchased at kellyco for $119.00, not 249. It works on a Fisher gold bug pro, even though its for an F75. I buried a quarter, flat, in a 12" hole, backfilled. The detector co
uld find it. It was just a tone change in all metal mode, lines on the two knobs straight up. Very heavy though..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 15" DD Fisher coil can be purchased at kellyco for $119.00, not 249. It works on a Fisher gold bug pro, even though its for an F75. I buried a quarter, flat, in a 12" hole, backfilled. The detector co
uld find it. It was just a tone change in all metal mode, lines on the two knobs straight up. Very heavy though..

David I can see you are new here, this post is from 2011.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread