What am I doing wrong???

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife got me a metal detector for the new year. I have never used on before but have always wanted to go "treasure hunting". She got me a Fisher F2. After reading over the manual 'briefly'..... because being a guy we shouldn't need to read directions, I took the detector out to the front yard and began searching. After a few minutes and several beeps and holes later, I found that the detector is beeping at little rocks. I'm assuming that its some sort of ore, but it's very brittle. Even after discriminating out iron it continues to indicate on these rocks. At one point it even indicated as a dime. What am I doing wrong?

Bayter
:BangHead:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are not doing anything wrong. The little rocks might be slag or what we call Hot Rocks. Try areas away from the house.

OP
OP
B

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know Sandman. Looks like I'll be bundling up and trying again this afternoon. It's 8 degrees, ouch! Thanks for the reply.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Bayter said:
Good to know Sandman. Looks like I'll be bundling up and trying again this afternoon. It's 8 degrees, ouch! Thanks for the reply.
Like Sandman said it could be hot rocks............ But at being only 8 degrees out the temp. could have something to do with your detector acting up or not working as it should......................

OP
OP
B

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy?! Please don't tell me I have to wait till spring! *SIGH* Okay I'll wait till at least a little warmer weather. It was a little tough digging with numb fingers. Thanks for the input Keppy.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find an area that is not under snow or ice and make a coin garden with different types of coins (silver, clad, copper, etc.). Then throw in some choice items that you might find in the park like pull tabs, an old ring (gold, silver, junk) nails, etc. and practice in this garden. You'll have to bury them at different depths to really understand how your detector works.
I understand that it is cold and may not be feasible this time of year in your location but this is a reliable method of learning the abilities of your detector.

Hope this helps.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well what john Edmond in the garrett forum does on cold days with his Ace 250 is wrap a wool sox or glove around his control box with one of those little hand warmer packs under it to keep the electronitcs & batterys warm......... You don't have to put it in the battery compartment just put it under the wool sox or what ever you use .

Attachments

• COLDACE2.jpg
    COLDACE2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 311
  • WARM2.jpg
    WARM2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 311
OP
OP
B

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHA!!! I've got three of those hot packs. Won't be attempting this tomorrow as the temperature with wind chill is gonna be -24 in the morning. But I will definitely be trying it in a few days. Thanks Keppy. ;D

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WAY to cold for me! Your a brave sole! lol

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bayter said:
Even after discriminating out iron it continues to indicate on these rocks. At one point it even indicated as a dime. What am I doing wrong?

Bayter
:BangHead:
You will find that most all detectors no matter what you pay for them......... Will show a coin for some foil , aluminum , iron , bottle caps , cans.......... The ID on the screen is not always telling you the truth........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread