cz3d help

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you cz3d guys can help me figure out this information the machine is giving me. I am new to Fisher and have only hunted with a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 in the past. I air tested this after ground balancing the machine.

13 of 14 various Jefferson nickels rang in the nickel range in salt mode. One corroded nickel did not register. 6 of 14 rang in the nickel range in inhanced mode. 8 did not register.

8 of 11 various pull tab(square and round)rang in the nickel rang in salt mode the rest did not sound. 1 of 11 pull tabs rang in the inhanced mode. the rest did not sound.
hope this is not to confusing. P.S. I can only make heads or tails of ground balance in inhanced mode. In salt it doesn't ground balance using the bobbing method.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• CZ3d.png
    CZ3d.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,754

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wheaty,

First of all, what are your settings ? If you are air testing, set the unit as follows:

Ground balance - 10 ( don't worry about ground balancing the detector prior to air testing...it's useless to ground balance on land and then air test since when you ground balance on land, you are essentially discriminating out the ground. There IS NO ground when air testing !!).

Volume - 10

Discrimination - 0

Sensitivity 5

Mode - Enhanced

You should be getting a hit on all the targets you mentioned within 8-10 inches of the coil in EITHER mode. When in enhanced mode, certain older coins like Indian Heads, V nickels, and certain gold targets, should ID with a high tone. Remember that enhanced mode uses the dirt matrix and make up of the coin, so air testing may not get you the proper ID ( that is, high tone) on these certain targets. Enhanced mode is optimal when coins are in the ground.

When you stated that pull tabs and certain nickels are not registering, it seems you may have your discrimination setting too high.

NEVER run it past 1. In setting 0, you will hear all targets, including the low tone of iron. Lots of times you want to hear iron, because it can signal where people were, as well as where an old structure may have been. In that setting, you will also get fooled a lot less on deeper iron that may hit as a low tone/high tone hit. You can HEAR the low tone in setting 0. When in setting 1 or higher, the low tone of iron is not heard. Run setting 1 when there is just too much iron to bear.....but never go higher than 1, because you will then start to discriminate out lower conductive targets, which could be small gold rings and pendants.

Hope this helped.

OP
OP
W

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help guys. It does seem to ring high tone on big iron like my shovel.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
NASA Tom uses a Nickle test to see if a 3D is out of calabration.

Take one hundered clean Nickles out of circualtion.
In Enhanced mode swing the Nickles past the coil 5 to 6 inches away.
20 - 35% should land on the round tab icon the rest should hit the Nickle icon.None of the 100 Nickles hit on Nickle.

I got a used 3D last fall , it was off with several points including tone, Nickle window and salt mode
All were later corrected by NASA Tom.
When my Disc knob was on Tab setting all Nickles were Disc out.
Keep in mind Tab setting is 2 clicks before Nickle setting .

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly useful. Here's a review I did on the CZ-3D. It's a tad technical but hopefully the main points are interpretable:

As with many other Fisher CZ-3D users, I've been through more detectors than that Carter guy has liver pills. And I'll be the first to admit that there are a slew of very good detectors out there, many at a modest price.
In a book-length volume, I might be able to touch on the highs and lows of detectors from top-shelf models down to those occupying the lower rung. Amazingly, some of the top-dollar machines are all but bottom-dwellers while entry-level models are thoroughly sweet. Which ushers in the Fisher CZ-3D.
I'll generalize this model by saying it's an apex blue-collar machine. It's meant for folks who put in tons of time and aren't afraid to dig for the goods. It is a deep-seeking machine, easily on par with costlier models.
As with all advanced units, it takes some tuning tweaks to come up with the best working relationship twixt detectorist, machine and the environment.
The first step in that direction is developing an ear for the all metals mode, #1 on the CZ-3D “Disc” discrimination knob. Learn the sound IDs therein. Absolutely nix the factory setting at #4. If you exclude up to pull-tabs, you've agreed to ignore some of the most valuable items in the ground.
For high-exploration hunters, detecting iron (FE) items is mandatory when humpin' the boonies for a virgin site. The CZ-3D iron detection (#1) mode, sometimes confusingly referred to as the “relics” mode, will point out the oldest homesteads, even those offering absolutely no surface indicators. CZ-3D is an excellent FE detector.
Once a site is found, a “Disc” knob turn to #2 -- to exclude iron readings -- puts the machine in its top treasure position: non-ferric items.
Once again, it comes down to setting the machine to shine. This is done by slowly moving off the factory settings (red mark at #3) for “Sensitivity.” Go a little past #5. While this increase will also increase false readings, the depth gain is remarkable. To see the change, do an air test on a quarter, going from # 3 to #5. I've found no need to go past #6 on the sensitivity setting.
With higher sensitivity there is that false reading thing, but, with a minimum of practice and ear tuning, it becomes a breeze to sidestep one-pass false beeps. The CZ-3D is tenacious when it comes to grabbing repeatable (good) readings.
Some machines might match the CZ-3D but I've yet to find a single machine that beats it at finding anything from a small button upwards to large cents. And it loves coins and buttons.
Some tips for CZ-3D users:
1) Top headphones are indispensable – with all detectors, by my thinking.
2) Do not get crazy with the “Disc” knob. The higher you go, the more you miss.
3) This machine works best at a slow to moderate head-swing speed. It suffers with fast swings. More than some other machine, this detector needs the head to be angled so it swings perfectly parallel to the ground. This has to be checked frequently. When the head is angled too far upward -- sometime hard to see when swinging it – essentially only a small portion of the loop is passing effectively over the ground. Wasted effort.
4) Volume “Boost” is a bit sophomoric. You get no real sensitivity boost, as implied, but you will hear readings better.
5) Fresh batteries mean everything. I have seen weak batteries miss targets that would have sounded off with fresh batteries – even though companies say that shouldn't happen.
6) Learn to use the “Pinpoint” pushbutton feature when being frustrated by a confusing non-ferric reading. The pushbutton mode is “all metals” and can quickly clarify that a seemingly “good” reading is actually a large iron item.
7) Make certain that the cable from the loop is secured to the lower and center stems. Cable waggle can increase false readings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread